X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ghillies with tongues?

I saw these nice-looking Ghillie Brogues at MacGregor And MacDuff, and the description was puzzling, until I looked closer at the photo.

It's a Ghillie Brogue, with the tongue from ordinary Brogues added.

I can't recall seeing this before.

https://www.macgregorandmacduff.co.u...ng-description

I was about to order a pair, being the first brown Ghillies I've seen in 14UK, until I saw exactly what they were. Now, I don't know what to make of them.

(Well if I got a pair I'd be tempted to make a pair of Ghillies out of them!)
    Last edited by OC Richard; 2nd February 19 at 05:03 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bizarre. You could always buy them an take the tongues out?
    Steve.

"We, the kilted ones, are ahead of the curve" -
    Bren.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that's what I'm thinking of. Because their normal Ghillie Brogues only go up to 13UK.

Ditto the brown Ghillies available at every other place I've checked.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 2nd February 19 at 05:24 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Church’s of England made a similar ghillie brogue - looks great to me.

Tried to find a pic - could only find Cheaneys, I may be remembering incorrectly...

319BFDBB-F5F9-4936-BA0A-73308C7AC8FA.jpeg
    Last edited by Profane James; 2nd February 19 at 09:05 AM.
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I saw these nice-looking Ghillie Brogues at MacGregor And MacDuff, and the description was puzzling, until I looked closer at the photo.

I was about to order a pair, being the first brown Ghillies I've seen in 14UK, until I saw exactly what they were. Now, I don't know what to make of them.

If these are the shoes I think they are, they are sourced through J.Wood Leathers. They are one of my suppliers. They have a lot of good stuff, but these shoes aren't actually very good. I have seen them in person. They are quite soft in the toes and look a bit dirty, to me anyway. The soles are some plastic-looking stuff. Personally, I wouldn't buy them.

https://www.jwoodhighland.co.uk/

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I came across some inexpensive wingtips on eBay with a similar design when I was looking for a pair of shoes for the Burns Supper. I considered buying a pair, cutting the tongue out, and buying some ghillie laces separately for a total ~$35 pair of ghillie brogues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Dress-...s/252070972216

They have a few different styles, but color selections "Black-#J-Wodn04" and "Brown-#J-Wodn04" are the ones with tongues and the ghillie-like cutouts around the lace holes. I may pick up a pair of the brown ones for day wear.
    Verbing weirds language.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive often said that modern gillies take everything wrong with European turn shoes and Scottish gillies and combine them together into the absolute worst choice for foot ware. Having a tongue at least makes the shoe into something that does what a turnshoe is supposed to do.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnot View Post
    If these are the shoes I think they are, they are sourced through J.Wood Leathers. They are one of my suppliers. They have a lot of good stuff, but these shoes aren't actually very good. I have seen them in person. They are quite soft in the toes and look a bit dirty, to me anyway. The soles are some plastic-looking stuff. Personally, I wouldn't buy them.

https://www.jwoodhighland.co.uk/
    Thanks for that link!

I see that they're in Steeton, West Yorkshire. Here's their PDF brochure which has loads of sporrans.

https://www.jwoodhighland.co.uk/wp-c...ure-Hi-Res.pdf

To me the worst part about their sporrans are the modern-looking hardware. If they used traditional-looking hardware those would be very nice sporrans IMHO.

I notice that their black Ghillie Brogues are intended for the hire industry, which to me implies low cost and the quality you mention.

Still, those brown "Norwood" ghillie hybrids are the only brown ghillies offered in larger sizes that I can find online.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that, good looking brogue you could wear to a business meeting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me the worst part about their sporrans are the modern-looking hardware. If they used traditional-looking hardware those would be very nice sporrans IMHO.
    Had a look at the sporrans; the dress sporrans are not for me with the hardware but I do like some of the day sporrans with broguing.

Shane

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post: