X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Thread: Warm in my Kilt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warm in my Kilt

Over the last couple of weeks I attended three different Burns celebrations. I was of course kilted at all events.
    The temperature in Glasgow over the last few weeks has been roughly minus five or six ( I know that many places like Chicago were experiencing much colder weather and hopefully the city is starting to recover ).
    I travelled to all three events with friends on public transport as we all knew that we would be having a few drinks and would be unfit to drive. Public transport in the central Scotland area never runs on time so waiting at bus stops was not something we were looking forward to.
    I can honestly say that myself and another companion who was also kilted seemed to fair better in the cold. Certainly having eight yards of wool from waist to knees and heavy woollen hose climbing to the knees seemed to work a treat in keeping the cold out.

2. The Following 12 Users say 'Aye' to Jimmy For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Over the last couple of weeks I attended three different Burns celebrations. I was of course kilted at all events.
    The temperature in Glasgow over the last few weeks has been roughly minus five or six ( I know that many places like Chicago were experiencing much colder weather and hopefully the city is starting to recover ).

[...]

I can honestly say that myself and another companion who was also kilted seemed to fair better in the cold. Certainly having eight yards of wool from waist to knees and heavy woollen hose climbing to the knees seemed to work a treat in keeping the cold out.
    It's been around 26F / 3.3C around here. Surprisingly to yours truly, it hasn't felt cold in my kilt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190204_144444_HDR.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	36256
    Ry'n ni yma o hyd, er gwaethaf pawb a phopeth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

[...]

It's been around 26F / 3.3C around here. Surprisingly to yours truly, it hasn't felt cold in my kilt.

Name:	20190204_144444_HDR.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	36256
    Ry'n ni yma o hyd, er gwaethaf pawb a phopeth.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in Chicago and having that little spell of sub-frigid weather just now there were times that I wish I had my kilt on instead of jeans and thermal underwear...sadly, the situation called for "civilian" dress. We're looking at an ice storm followed by a roller coaster of temperatures and I have been informed that my little group will, in spite of all that, be meeting for cocktails this Friday evening...all things considered, it looks like they're in for a treat and I'm going to go with the warmer dress alternative.

Yes...I have found it to be warmer in a kilt...the odd updraft not withstanding. I still can't understand the folks who don't get it and tell me otherwise...obviously they've never doen the kilt thing.

Best,

AA
    ANOTHER KILTED LEBOWSKI AND...HEY, CAREFUL, MAN, THERE'S A BEVERAGE HERE!

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to auld argonian For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you could not have worn the kilt last week, according to reports that if skin was exposed for at least ten minutes , you would suffer frostbite, hopefully that would not have been the case if you were commando

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by auld argonian View Post
    Living in Chicago and having that little spell of sub-frigid weather just now there were times that I wish I had my kilt on instead of jeans and thermal underwear...sadly, the situation called for "civilian" dress. We're looking at an ice storm followed by a roller coaster of temperatures and I have been informed that my little group will, in spite of all that, be meeting for cocktails this Friday evening...all things considered, it looks like they're in for a treat and I'm going to go with the warmer dress alternative.

Yes...I have found it to be warmer in a kilt...the odd updraft not withstanding. I still can't understand the folks who don't get it and tell me otherwise...obviously they've never doen the kilt thing.

Best,

AA
    I get a near-constant updraft/movement of cold air upward. Trousers, on the other hand, are a "closed system."
    Here's tae us - / Wha's like us - / Damn few - / And they're a' deid - /
    Mair's the pity!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katia View Post
    I get a near-constant updraft/movement of cold air upward.
    Must be the way you walk, Katia!!

Alan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basic physics. Heat rises.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I just stood outside for a while in 18 deg F with no wind, and got cold just from air moving around, even wearing long boxer briefs. So it really wouldn't have mattered how much yardage was in the kilt . When it was time to XC ski in a kilt on Robbie Burns day, it was sunny and about 25F. I wore tights, and skin colored shin protectors made for horseback riding but pulled up over my knees, and was comfortable. My friend Mark got by with bared knees. We are both skinny. Whatever it takes! I just know what I need to wear. I'm the one in the red shirt.

Name:	Ski in a kilt.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	406.3 KB 
ID:	36337
    "Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length" - Robert Frost

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Oilverland For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in Beijing, the winters were very long and mercilessly cold. Yet I found that I could comfortably wear my kilt most winter days. The key was bundling up my torso: turtleneck + shetland sweater + Harris Tweed jacket + heavy wool scarf + balmoral bonnet. And don't forget gloves!

Good underwear helps, too. But strong winds can be demoralizing, even with all that.

My new kilt is much heavier (13 oz. vs. 11 oz. and 8 yards instead of 5). So it would work even better. But now I'm back in the tropics (outside Hong Kong), so it never gets as bone-chilling as Beijing.

Andrew