X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warm in my Kilt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Central Alberta the night of our Burns night it was -36 C with the wind chill fortunately I only had to walk about 2 blocks but I find I am reasonably warm in anything above -20 as long as I am wearing a heavy jacket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breezy in the Southeast of Ontario.

Sláinte:

Last night, Saturday the 23rd, I said to my kilted cronie, "KILT! Tomorrow!", as we were tearing down after our Chili Night event at the church. To which he said, "It's gonna be windy and snowing and generally unfit to kilt. But, I'll give it a look-see in the morning."

I remembered some of the advice given here and went for it, regardless. When we left the house for church it was a steady 20 mph breeze with the odd 30 mph gust. Still air temp was in the low 30's (yes... Fahrenheit) and there was a persistent drizzly mist about. I was okay in the kilt.

When we came out of church the breeze had stiffened a bit and the temp had dropped. It was snowing. Still okay. Coming out of "Second Breakfast" more wind, more snow and lower temps again. Again, still okay in the kilt.

My cronie was a no kilt... citing the breeze and the temp.

The major problem for those of us who do kilt up for church is the HVAC discharge vents in the floor of St Mary's. Some are square and some are round. The round ones are better than 20" in diameter and the square ones are likely in the 18" x 24" size. And the breeze there is often pretty stiff. There is one thoughtfully placed right at the communion rail... where one has to cross over it on the way to the rail and on the way from the rail. Aside from holding things down in the updraft... I found it quite comfortable to be kilted even on a blustery day. Tut-tut, looks like rain...

I say then, neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, nor dark of night... shall keep the kilty indoors.

Cheers,

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Wowbagger427 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12