X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Experiment with trad kilting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJxWa6pr8Hw

He has also other links. Some guesswork but maybe not too bad.

Alan

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good little video Alan. I recognize many of the survival techniques I learned in the military, as a kid from my grandfather (he being a professional hunting guide) and from accidental experiences. The least surprising items in the video were the plaid and extra wool blanket. If I had those with me on all my outings, I would be set for any night. I like this guy's attitude and attention to detail.

I might have found a bit more protein or source of fat for my meal (to insure a warmer body core and restful sleep).

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, what am I missing? He carried two wool blankets and then wraps up in a piece of single width modern kilt fabric.

Was that just to be able to say that it is possible?

Why not just wear one blanket and then, if you want carry a second around all day, why not use it as a groundcloth?

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post

I might have found a bit more protein or source of fat for my meal (to insure a warmer body core and restful sleep).
    Where from? Stealing some fish, flesh or fowl might not be a good idea in troublous times. People's diet was just "drammach" - water and oatmeal.
    Alan

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that he had the gumption to walk the walk as best he could in this modern age. I’ll be damned if I’m gonna add blood to my oats, I don’t eat bugs either, then again I’ve never had to. I give him a A+

“Who has not felt the urge to throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." -John Muir

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Me cousin Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't mean to distract from the project the young man was demonstrating in his video. He is making his video in early Spring where there would be a better chance of finding more food sources. Personally, I would have supplemented my food stash with items from home before the trip.

Though I have eaten crawlers and other (considered by some to be nasty) alternatives during survival training, there are better compact foods to carry for a short outing. Even in olden times there was hard-tack. Small traps can be made with grasses and twigs, small divergent dams can be made to catch fish for example. Honey and animal fat with nuts (suet) would stay consistent during cooler days and nights.

I recall the survival instructor in my mind, "Every mission has a goal. Before the mission there is preparation, during, there are circumstances that require choices. Necessity dictates choices, choose solutions that best fit the mission. Efficiency is the key. The level of success will depend on how well you perform during the mission."

Sorry for the rant. Any information to expand learning is better than none. Bobby

10. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    Where from? Stealing some fish, flesh or fowl might not be a good idea in troublous times. People's diet was just "drammach" - water and oatmeal.
    Alan
    I recall reading that your average highlander was small but wiry, likely as a result of such an impoverished diet. There would have been more animals available back then though as there were many pockets of woodland now gone and also more people to get resources from. I wonder how many had to live in the open like this for anything beyond a short period of time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but poaching would have brought a death sentence if discovered and few had any spare "resources".

Alan.
    Last edited by neloon; 10th February 19 at 01:14 PM.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    Yes, but poaching would have brought a death sentence if discovered and few had any spare "resources".

Alan.
    Wasn't poaching restricted to game animals? I'm also not sure if the same laws applied in the Highlands as elsewhere. What I was referring to though was trapping smaller animals like small birds and rabbits.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damion View Post
    Wasn't poaching restricted to game animals? I'm also not sure if the same laws applied in the Highlands as elsewhere. What I was referring to though was trapping smaller animals like small birds and rabbits.
    I'm no expert on the laws of a couple of hundred years ago but they would certainly have applied throughout Scotland and stealing someone else's animals was just that and still is. Nowadays the trespass laws in Scotland are much more relaxed than in days gone by - some would say too relaxed - but within your own clan territory you would have been OK.
    What is more worthy of comment is that the site of his adventure is not very typically Highland where the heather is knee-high and the bracken chest-high. This looks like the Trossachs i.e. just outside Glasgow!

Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast