X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    legion78 is offline Registration voided at member request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

This has been some great info. Thanks everyone, this has been helpful. So far the closest I have been able to pin point from the posts below are Alexander, McBean, and McNaughten. If it is a fashion one, can I get it rproduced by a kilt manufacturer as a one off?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, yes you can. But I am going to caution you. There is an absolute minimum amount of fabric that a loom can weave. It depends on the type of loom.

The set up of a loom is called 'warping" and is a very labor intensive process. Most weaving mills have a minimum amount of fabric that you can order to cover the materials and the labor. This can range from 10-11 meters up to 30-40 meters.

Most weaving mills need to charge about the same at these minimums, regardless of the weight and composition of the finished fabric. The labor to warp a loom is the same regardless.

So please check with your fabric source before going too far down the rabbit hole of a custom run. You may find that the cost of a custom run is a bit more than you expect at first.

A customer planning to outfit his entire family in kilts may be able to justify a thousand dollars for just the fabric, but that may be outside of the budget of someone wanting a shirt or two.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 11th February 19 at 11:45 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also depends on the specific fashion tartan you settle on. Even if they aren't registered to a specific Scottish clan, some of them are registered/copyrighted/trademarked/etc. by the individual or company that designed it and they may impose restrictions on whether or not an individual can directly order it, which mills are allowed to produce it, etc.
    Verbing weirds language.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12