X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting eBay find, 1927 Officer's set

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad they do not give the actual sizes.

Jackets are normally size by chest circumference and sleeve length.

Kilts are normally sized by the waist circumference at the level of the straps - the circumference of the hips where the pleats are sewn down and the drop measured from the center of the top straps down to the bottom edge.

This listing does not really give enough information to make a good purchase.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making a few estimates.

I did some measurements on my jacket, just to see if I could estimate a size. I'd give an approximate chest size of 36", and an approximate sleeve length of 26". My kilt is at the tailor, so I can't do a buckle to buckle measurement. In one of Rocky's videos, he mentioned that the Rise is typically 2". My eyeball estimate suggests that's approximately what this kilt has too. So the Drop would be 23".

My kilt is at the tailor, so I can't do a buckle to buckle measurement. But in the photo, the straps are in the largest possible hole. My eyeball estimate is that the kilt extends past the buckle by about 2" on each side. So the maximum waist would be approximately 38". Approximately 36" waist if someone's wearing the straps more normally.

I wouldn't count on those estimates if I was the one buying the kilt and/or jacket, but I think they're reliable enough to tell me not to waste my time.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    I did some measurements on my jacket, just to see if I could estimate a size. I'd give an approximate chest size of 36", and an approximate sleeve length of 26". My kilt is at the tailor, so I can't do a buckle to buckle measurement. In one of Rocky's videos, he mentioned that the Rise is typically 2". My eyeball estimate suggests that's approximately what this kilt has too. So the Drop would be 23".

My kilt is at the tailor, so I can't do a buckle to buckle measurement. But in the photo, the straps are in the largest possible hole. My eyeball estimate is that the kilt extends past the buckle by about 2" on each side. So the maximum waist would be approximately 38". Approximately 36" waist if someone's wearing the straps more normally.

I wouldn't count on those estimates if I was the one buying the kilt and/or jacket, but I think they're reliable enough to tell me not to waste my time.
    I think you'll find that the waist measurement is more likely to be 30-32" given the date of the outfit and rank of the owner.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's standard on Ebay, with ordinary suit jackets, blazers, etc to give

1) armpit to armpit (on the inside of the jacket, from the bottom centre of one arm-hole to the bottom centre of the other, across the back)

2) outside sleeve length (from the shoulder seam to the bottom of the sleeve)

3) back length (base of collar to the bottom)

at least with the regular Ebay sellers.

They will usually tell prospective buyers to follow the measurements rather than the size label.

I know! I have jackets labelled 46, 48, 50, and 52 which are all exactly the same size.

When you get somebody new to Ebay that gives no measurements or wacky measurements (like just laying a ruler across the top of the jacket) the experienced Ebay-ers will often helpfully suggest that they give the usual expected measurements, so that they will be more likely to sell their thing.

Kilts of course are worse because few sellers know how to measure them. The waist sizes they give (if they give any) are rarely accurate. It's great when a kilt seller knows kilts and gives correct sizes.

Here's a vintage clothes seller who speaks the normal language

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ada...S!-1:rk:6:pf:0
    Last edited by OC Richard; 8th February 19 at 07:47 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the same seller I got my A&SH kilt from. She was very good to deal with and even refunded the excess of the shipping cost (it didn't come to much but it was a very nice gesture). Based on the experience I had, if someone sent her a message asking for more details on this set I'm sure she would provide it.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to jhughes For This Useful Post: