X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finnish and Swedish tartans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Knitter View Post
    And I saw somewhere that there are official tartans for different countries.
    I don't know how "official" they are, but International Tartans has a series of national tartans. The Swedish and Finnish tartans are listed in The Scottish Register of Tartans. According to the notes in the register, those two tartans can be used by anyone who has obtained the designer's consent.

The designer's contact information:
    info@internationaltartans.co.uk

Disclaimer:
    I have no experience with that company or designer. It's just what I found by searching The Scottish Register of Tartans.

Good luck with your kilt construction.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valkommen!
    “It has never been hard to tell the difference between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.”

P.G. Wodehouse.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in the English midlands. I agree that it's best to think and read carefully before taking action! My own feeling is that you shouldn't worry about wearing tartan, even if you have no Scottish background. You might even think about designing your own!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from Scotland.
    Vice-President and Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Välkommen!

Your post has reminded me that really should go back and continue my Swedish (and Irish) language lessons. My wife's late grandmother emigrated from Southern Sweden (I forget exactly where) when she was a little girl. My wife has been learning Swedish as a way to reconnect to her heritage (as I've been doing with Irish) and we recently decided to both start learning the other language as well. My wife has been much more diligent about this than I have.
    Verbing weirds language.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12