X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: too rustic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    Being retro ... well ... you're wearing a traditional kilt. A certain amount of retro is expected. The particular era of retro is a matter of personal taste. I'd certainly consider wearing a gingham shirt with a kilt and tweed jacket. I'm not sure that the necktie is working, though. My gut feeling is that the tie is competing with the rest of the outfit.
    I think you may be right. It was a new tie (to me) and I was excited to try it out but I may try to pair it with a plain shirt if I wear it again.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the overall colour of the jacket would not go amiss with the cilt, but the size of the check is too similar to that of the tartan and therefore, detracts from the latter. If the jacket were a plain colour, the shirt would be acceptable, but as you have already identified I believe, probably needs to a plain/solid colour to complement the cilt.

As for the 'business/city' angle, I tend to refer back to my grand father's old adage, that brown should never be seen in the city! I have stuck by that ever since, but I am of course' aware of new fashions bringing brown in ('Peaky Blinders' style... )

Again, no criticism levelled, just observations (the jacket would also probably pair well with a pair of plain casual trousers/jeans).
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    For me, the overall colour of the jacket would not go amiss with the cilt, but the size of the check is too similar to that of the tartan and therefore, detracts from the latter. If the jacket were a plain colour, the shirt would be acceptable, but as you have already identified I believe, probably needs to a plain/solid colour to complement the cilt.

As for the 'business/city' angle, I tend to refer back to my grand father's old adage, that brown should never be seen in the city! I have stuck by that ever since, but I am of course' aware of new fashions bringing brown in ('Peaky Blinders' style... )

Again, no criticism levelled, just observations (the jacket would also probably pair well with a pair of plain casual trousers/jeans).
    I though “no brown in town” applied to shoes?

Anyway, can’t wear it with jeans, it’s cut too short.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often wear gingham with jeans/dress pants and a sport coat but I don't wear gingham with any of my more patterned jackets (houndstooth, plaid, etc) and tend to wear them with ones that are more textured. Similarly, with my more patterned jackets, I tend to wear solid colour or more subtle shirts as opposed to anything with more pattern.

I would tend to apply the same rules when I wear a kilt and so I'd be tempted to pair a gingham shirt with one of my tweeds (none of them are checked). Alternatively, I'd pair that jacket with a less patterned shirt.

Shane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmacleod View Post
    I often wear gingham with jeans/dress pants and a sport coat but I don't wear gingham with any of my more patterned jackets (houndstooth, plaid, etc) and tend to wear them with ones that are more textured. Similarly, with my more patterned jackets, I tend to wear solid colour or more subtle shirts as opposed to anything with more pattern.

I would tend to apply the same rules when I wear a kilt and so I'd be tempted to pair a gingham shirt with one of my tweeds (none of them are checked). Alternatively, I'd pair that jacket with a less patterned shirt.

Shane
    I think you’re right. I’ve worn the same jacket with a plain light yellow shirt and simpler green tie and liked the results better.

Please note that this photo is older and the jacket has been altered slightly since (sleeves and jacket shortened a little).
    Last edited by FossilHunter; 12th February 19 at 11:14 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definetly prefer that combination. In the first photo there just seemed to be too much going on, i.e. too busy and confusing to the eye with so many different checked colours.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the shirt and whilst the jacket isn't to my taste that doesn't mean it's wrong, after all I'm a electronics technician by trade, not a fashion designer.

Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    I think you’re right. I’ve worn the same jacket with a plain light yellow shirt and simpler green tie and liked the results better.

Please note that this photo is older and the jacket has been altered slightly since (sleeves and jacket shortened a little).
    Last edited by Nomad; 12th February 19 at 12:19 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Nomad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I'd bin the tie as you've done in the latter picture less is more

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see you've changed your sporran (a plain hunting and less ornate). That small touch seems to bring this new outfit together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd suggest that you need to have the skirts cut away to accommodate the sporran in true kilt jacket style, and the sleeves shortened to fit properly, for this jacket to be in the ball park.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what the word "rustic" may mean to you, but there's an awful lot going on in the first picture. Let the tartan speak for itself.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast