X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: too rustic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    I though “no brown in town” applied to shoes?

Anyway, can’t wear it with jeans, it’s cut too short.
    I think the 'brown/town' comment depended on the business you were in! Certainly heard it for shoes too, but (apparently), brokers/bankers etc applied it to suits.
    As for with jeans, I was really meaning the colour. Fully acknowledge the length aspect. I don't mind the jacket itself tbh.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion only, is that the issue isn't so much whether it's rustic, but whether or not it works at all in any setting (without trying to be overly critical). The fact that you have 3 versions of a checked pattern going on in the same outfit confuses the eye a little. I'm no style expert, but I would personally stick to plain shirts and jackets and let the kilt be the focal point.

Others may disagree and successfully combine checked patterned jackets with tartan (a large check with a sparse line might work) - this only my own humble opinion At the same time, I would say to anyone, regardless of others' opinions - if it makes you happy and you like it, then go for it.
    To the King over the water

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus, I posted this photo a while back as well. We discussed belts (Of course I have a belt now as seen in the OP) and tie width a lot but do you think the colors/patterns work better together in this instance?

Note: This is an older photo with an old sporran and I wear the kilt higher now.

Apologies for the tardy reply; I've been on the road on business for the last two days with limited opportunity to get involved.

For whatever reason, this photo seems to work better than your first one. Even though the jacket and kilt are the exact same, their patterns don't seem to be fighting with each other. Perhaps it's the lighter shirt and less bold tie choice.

Just to clarify, I don't think there's anything bad or wrong with this jacket, nor am I saying it doesn't work with that kilt. Context is a tough thing to define well, and a lot of times one single aspect of an outfit can make the whole thing look strange. It could very well be that your tie choice in your 1st post is what caused so many less-than-stellar responses. I do think that this particular jacket would be better paired with brown shoes/sporran/belt, but that's just a function of my personal taste.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus, I posted this photo a while back as well. We discussed belts (Of course I have a belt now as seen in the OP) and tie width a lot but do you think the colors/patterns work better together in this instance?

Note: This is an older photo with an old sporran and I wear the kilt higher now.

I like this combo better than the first; although the patterns are of similar scale, the colours are different enough that there is nothing that looks off to my eye here.

I suspect it's the combination of tie and plain shirt but it may be worth trying the gingham with this tie to see how things look.

Shane

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I do think that this particular jacket would be better paired with brown shoes/sporran/belt, but that's just a function of my personal taste.
    I agree here. I do like the simple brass buckle; mine is very similar. The pattern on the jacket is a challenge, but not
    unworkable. I'd like to see brown hose with mustard ties with the first photo. I think they would positively affect the
    choice of tie. A thought on the tie, with an outfit like this, much falls on how comfortable and confident you are in it.
    We've all seen reputable known highland folk in outfits that worked less well, but they wore it in a way that makes it
    work. The tie might be seen as a bit eccentric; what, eccentricity in a man in a kilt in this country? Brown in
    town is not a rule in this country. It can work as is. Do you want to make it work, or do you want items that might
    be more comfortable for other folk? I'm fine either way, and I'll stand by my statement that in this country that outfit
    can be workable. All in all, a good conversation, and I have no problem with any comments. Personal tastes vary.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    ...I do think that this particular jacket would be better paired with brown shoes/sporran/belt...
    I agree with Tobus on this.

If you wanted to wear a pheasant tie, you might try something a bit more subtle, along the lines of one of these: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...AQAQpdQCCA4oBQ

I do think that with brown shoes/sporran/belt, -- and perhaps a ties that helps pull things together a bit -- that this could be workable.

One of my favorite jacket/waistcoat sets doesn't "match" any of my kilts. When I wear it, I try tend to coordinate my shirt, tie hose and shoes with the jacket (yeah, yeah... probably a bit too monochromatic) and let the loud tartan be the bit that draws the eye:

SM
    Last edited by ShaunMaxwell; 15th February 19 at 07:31 AM.
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

10. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many others have chimed in on some of the "basics" already -- proportions of check and tartan, for example -- that I'll only add one more comment.

A major factor in Highland Dress, to my mind, is the "peacock" factor. Tartan is loud, hose are colorful, jackets are beautiful green or tweed or checked. But there's also visual separation in play, created most especially by the waistcoat.

Wearing a gingham shirt and a pheasant tie with a *waistcoat* and jacket would separate the colorful area around the neck from the bold pattern of the kilt and hose below. The jacket and waistcoat might be plain in color or have a more subtle check pattern, but they'd still serve the same purpose.

In the hot weather where you live, however, wearing the gingham shirt without a waistcoat (entirely sensible) might mean that a plain or very subtle pattern jacket and tie would be wiser. I think that's partly why the outfit in your second picture seems to work better.
    Descended from Patiences of Avoch | McColls of Glasgow
    Member, Clan Mackenzie Society of the Americas | Clan Donald USA

"We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." (Heb. 6:19)

12. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to revdpatience For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I like pattern but think scale is an important factor, below is a photo of me wearing a heavily patterned jacket...I think the reason it works a bit better is scale...
    Yes your photo is a nice reversal of the vintage one I posted:

Large scale jacket with small scale kilt

Small scale jacket with large scale kilt

Not really pertaining to this except that scale is involved, but it's interesting (to me) how one might see the same tartan in as many as four different scales in the same Highland military uniform, the scale suited to the size of the item.

One example are the Mess Dress uniforms with a bias-cut tartan waistcoat, the waistcoat being the same tartan as the kilt but of a smaller scale.

Another is a piper's uniform with kilt, hose, bag-cover, and drone ribbons all Royal Stewart tartan but in four different scales.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234