X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: too rustic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I see you've changed your sporran (a plain hunting and less ornate). That small touch seems to bring this new outfit together.
    The second photo is older. I no longer have that sporran (it was a cheap Pakistani sporran of poor quality).
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    I'd suggest that you need to have the skirts cut away to accommodate the sporran in true kilt jacket style, and the sleeves shortened to fit properly, for this jacket to be in the ball park.
    That’s an old photo and it has since been altered that way. See the OP.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I defer to Tobus. He seems to have a good grip on that shirt/jacket combination. I'd wear that shirt with a solid or tweed jacket with the kilts I own.

Kudos on the tie. I like game birds anytime.
    Thank you for the vote of confidence, but I am certainly not any sort of authority on these matters. I've got some combinations of colours and patterns that I like, but I've also had some real stinkers. I do like to think that sticking with vintage tweed jackets keeps me in a certain safety zone.

As for the original photo in question: personally, I don't go for ties with large images on them. A pheasant motif can be a nice country accent, but if it were me, I would default to a smaller pattern. I don't like my ties to be the central statement of my outfit, as this one seems to be doing.

I don't think there's anything about the shirt that doesn't work with the kilt, and the shirt itself doesn't scream "rustic" to me. But when put together with that jacket and that kilt and that tie, I agree with others that something is off. To my eye, it's that the jacket is too light-coloured for the rest of the articles being worn, and the check pattern of the jacket is too close (size-wise) to the grids of the tartan pattern.

Don't get me wrong - I love a check pattern jacket with a kilt and tattersal/check shirt. I'm fond of brown coloured jackets too. But sometimes the trick is having a small jacket pattern with a larger tartan pattern in the kilt, or a larger jacket pattern with a smaller tartan pattern kilt. When the two patterns are equal in size, they can either harmonise with each other or create visual conflict with each other. In this case, I think the jacket and the kilt are in conflict with each other. Perhaps it's that the pattern sizes are closely matched but the colours are polar opposites, I'm not sure. It's just a personal taste thing.

Looking at the older photo posted, I do see significant improvement in the cut and sleeve length of the jacket. I think it could go well with a kilt outfit, but something else in the outfit needs to be in balance with it. Everything else in this outfit is in deep colours, topped by a buff/beige jacket that just seems oddly out of place. Who knows - with lighter hose, brown shoes, and another tie choice, it might go well. I'd have to see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Thank you for the vote of confidence, but I am certainly not any sort of authority on these matters. I've got some combinations of colours and patterns that I like, but I've also had some real stinkers. I do like to think that sticking with vintage tweed jackets keeps me in a certain safety zone.

As for the original photo in question: personally, I don't go for ties with large images on them. A pheasant motif can be a nice country accent, but if it were me, I would default to a smaller pattern. I don't like my ties to be the central statement of my outfit, as this one seems to be doing.

I don't think there's anything about the shirt that doesn't work with the kilt, and the shirt itself doesn't scream "rustic" to me. But when put together with that jacket and that kilt and that tie, I agree with others that something is off. To my eye, it's that the jacket is too light-coloured for the rest of the articles being worn, and the check pattern of the jacket is too close (size-wise) to the grids of the tartan pattern.

Don't get me wrong - I love a check pattern jacket with a kilt and tattersal/check shirt. I'm fond of brown coloured jackets too. But sometimes the trick is having a small jacket pattern with a larger tartan pattern in the kilt, or a larger jacket pattern with a smaller tartan pattern kilt. When the two patterns are equal in size, they can either harmonise with each other or create visual conflict with each other. In this case, I think the jacket and the kilt are in conflict with each other. Perhaps it's that the pattern sizes are closely matched but the colours are polar opposites, I'm not sure. It's just a personal taste thing.

Looking at the older photo posted, I do see significant improvement in the cut and sleeve length of the jacket. I think it could go well with a kilt outfit, but something else in the outfit needs to be in balance with it. Everything else in this outfit is in deep colours, topped by a buff/beige jacket that just seems oddly out of place. Who knows - with lighter hose, brown shoes, and another tie choice, it might go well. I'd have to see it.
    In regards to the bolded part; part of the problem is that the kilt is marton mills polyviscose which tends to have a smaller sett size, about the same size as many items in 'window pane' check.

The jacket is actually linen and there were limited options for pattern and color when I had the jacket made. I don't disagree with anything you've said and I'll have to think about a combination that could work. My only solid colored shirts are that yellow in the other photo, white, and french blue. If it were a darker brown jacket I might try an ecru shirt but it would be too close in this case.

I would like to find at least one combination that worked since I got the jacket to wear on days in the summer here that are cool enough linen, though I'm usually in shirtsleeves at that point.
    Last edited by FossilHunter; 12th February 19 at 04:44 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Well I did ask and I have no problem with honest opinions. What about the cut do you not like?
    I'm sorry to admit that I'd have to agree 100% with Jock on this one but I'm also UK based and our experiences/expectations obviously differ from those across the pond. You probably view us as positively old-fashioned, not that I have ever laid a claim to fashion.
    Regarding the cut of the jacket, it just seems to my eyes that the bottom "curve" has a straight line so is not a continuous curve so not truly rounded and, as a consequence, looks a little odd. That is picking hairs though, I'm sure that in live view no one would notice, it is the pattern that draws most attention.

This picture shows a UK made kilt jacket that was designed as a kilt jack from the outset and not cut down and although not a very good photographic example you can see that the curve is continuous. I'm sure there are many better examples on this site if you care to look for them.

That said, I wear what I am comfortable with and you appear to be doing the same, or you would not have asked the question.
    Last edited by tpa; 12th February 19 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Last sentence addition.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tobus, I posted this photo a while back as well. We discussed belts (Of course I have a belt now as seen in the OP) and tie width a lot but do you think the colors/patterns work better together in this instance?

Note: This is an older photo with an old sporran and I wear the kilt higher now.

Last edited by FossilHunter; 12th February 19 at 05:42 PM.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the jacket myself, patterns more or less like that have been worn since the last quarter of the 19th century at least.

I prefer the outfit in the first photo, with the check shirt and hunting sporran. The only thing I would change in that outfit is the necktie, which I feel is so similar to the kilt that the two sort of battle for the eye's attention.

If I was putting together an outfit with that jacket (a brown tweed obviously outdoor sort of jacket) I'd use a Tattersall shirt, classic stripe tie, brown leather Day sporran, my Cheviot "Bison" hose, etc.

There's a slightly esoteric issue with pairing that jacket with that kilt: the two are too similar in scale for my eye.

Here are jacket and kilt patterns of very different scales, which helps the co-ordination

Last edited by OC Richard; 12th February 19 at 07:11 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I like the jacket myself, patterns more or less like that have been worn since the last quarter of the 19th century at least.

I prefer the outfit in the first photo, with the check shirt and hunting sporran. The only thing I would change in that outfit is the necktie, which I feel is so similar to the kilt that the two sort of battle for the eye's attention.

If I was putting together an outfit with that jacket (a brown tweed obviously outdoor sort of jacket) I'd use a Tattersall shirt, classic stripe tie, brown leather Day sporran, my Cheviot "Bison" hose, etc.

There's a slightly esoteric issue with pairing that jacket with that kilt: the two are too similar in scale for my eye.

Here are jacket and kilt patterns of very different scales, which helps the co-ordination

My wife may not be too excited to hear that I need a border check kilt to pair with my jacket! ;)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like pattern but think scale is an important factor, below is a photo of me wearing a heavily patterned jacket with a phesant motif tie & kilt. I think the reason it works a bit better is scale, your jacket & tartan are too close in scale & the tie doesn't work as the patterns all compete.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Horrid Tie and I Don't Care for the jacket

In answer to your original question. I think the shirt is perfectly fine for daywear.
    Last edited by ASinclair; 13th February 19 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Removed comments beyond scope of OP
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast