X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: too rustic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

too rustic?

I've been trying to make the gingham shirt work for me but I'm still not sure about it. There seems to be something decidedly rustic about it that seems more appropriate for the field than the city.

What do you all think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7708.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	36305
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, the shirt seems to be at the same level as the jacket.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I defer to Tobus. He seems to have a good grip on that shirt/jacket combination. I'd wear that shirt with a solid or tweed jacket with the kilts I own.

Kudos on the tie. I like game birds anytime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    In my opinion, the shirt seems to be at the same level as the jacket.
    Is that good or bad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your outfit is certainly more country and wouldn't be unusual at the shows. But is that a bad thing?

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsty View Post
    Your outfit is certainly more country and wouldn't be unusual at the shows. But is that a bad thing?
    I suppose not. It's good to be aware of it though. Thank you for the feedback.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya look good. In this country, that outfit works for most levels of formality, we being less formal. On the
    other side of the pond, whole different kettle of fish. Jock has posted posted pics of him fishing and hunting
    in outfits more formal than anything I own.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you are asking. Nothing wrong with the shirt, although I find the jacket and tie jar my eye somewhat. I am not sure why, but let’s think about this in a light hearted way out loud, so to speak.

The jacket is decidedly rustic and the pattern is not pleasing to the eye, well alright to my eye. It’s the brown chessboard look perhaps that jars?I should add that I generally like brown tweed, particularly when worn with the kilt, but....... Too many lines when added to the kilt pattern as well. The “cut” of the jacket does not help either in my view. So no, I personally would not wear the jacket for smart town work and would only wear it in the country to scare the crows! Well alright, some of you chaps seem to live in parts of the country that is mainly brown, so perhaps the crows won’t see it! The tie just does not work with the outfit.

Ok that’s a personal trans-Atlantic observation and others may and probably will differ , as is their privilege.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 12th February 19 at 04:39 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    As you are asking. Nothing wrong with the shirt, although I find the jacket and tie jar my eye somewhat. I am not sure why, but let’s think about this in a light hearted way out loud, so to speak.

The jacket is decidedly rustic and the pattern is not pleasing to the eye, well alright to my eye. It’s the brown chessboard look perhaps that jars?I should add that I generally like brown tweed, particularly when worn with the kilt, but....... Too many lines when added to the kilt pattern as well. The “cut” of the jacket does not help either in my view. So no, I personally would not wear the jacket for smart town work and would only wear it in the country to scare the crows! Well alright, some of you chaps seem to live in parts of the country that is mainly brown, so perhaps the crows won’t see it! The tie just does not work with the outfit.

Ok that’s a personal trans-Atlantic observation and others may and probably will differ , as is their privilege.
    Well I did ask and I have no problem with honest opinions. What about the cut do you not like?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revisiting the original question

The initial question has been bothering me since I first saw it last evening ... because I wouldn't describe the outfit, or particularly the jacket, as being rustic at all. If I went out to the rural areas of East Texas, West Texas, Louisiana, up to Oklahoma or Kansas, up into the Midwest, or all the way out to New Mexico, I wouldn't expect to find anyone wearing that jacket. I expect the same would be true in southern California.

It took me until this morning to come up with the correct adjective. The jacket seems retro, not rustic. I can't exactly peg down which decade, since it's before I started paying attention to fashion, but I think it might be a 1970's style pattern.

As for my initial answer to the question, I looked at how casual vs. dressy the shirt and jacket are. They seem about equal in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Is that good or bad?
    Being at the same level of casual/dressy is a good thing.

Being retro ... well ... you're wearing a traditional kilt. A certain amount of retro is expected. The particular era of retro is a matter of personal taste. I'd certainly consider wearing a gingham shirt with a kilt and tweed jacket. I'm not sure that the necktie is working, though. My gut feeling is that the tie is competing with the rest of the outfit.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast