X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    We don’t usually choose other items of clothing on a familial basis, rather on a liking for the fabric or the cut of the garment
    So ... if you were buying a rugby jersey to wear when attending a match, would you choose one based on your favorite colors ... or would you choose one based on the colors of the team you're cheering for?

I might wear a shirt with my employer's logo on it. I wouldn't wear a shirt with a competitor's logo on it, regardless of the fabric, the cut, the color, or how well designed the logo is.

When I was a student, I wore a letter jacket in my school's colors. I wouldn't have chosen other colors, even though it would have been easy to find colors that I found more aesthetically appealing.

Clothing is used to demonstrate our affiliations. For kilts/tartans, that's frequently a familial affiliation.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    So ... if you were buying a rugby jersey to wear when attending a match, would you choose one based on your favorite colors ... or would you choose one based on the colors of the team you're cheering for?

I might wear a shirt with my employer's logo on it. I wouldn't wear a shirt with a competitor's logo on it, regardless of the fabric, the cut, the color, or how well designed the logo is.

When I was a student, I wore a letter jacket in my school's colors. I wouldn't have chosen other colors, even though it would have been easy to find colors that I found more aesthetically appealing.

Clothing is used to demonstrate our affiliations. For kilts/tartans, that's frequently a familial affiliation.
    You hit the nail on the head Karl. There is the idea of defending an alternate choice if you have the fortitude to do so. Often, confrontation will not arise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Maybe so on the primary market, but with Ebay and the secondary market you can purchase anything you wish..... and once you purchase it, who will stop you from wearing it? No Tartan Police that I know of, and I have to say, I disagree with all of this, and myself abide by the rules of tradition.
    I don't think there is a chance you'll Ever find a Balmoral tartan kilt or even material on the secondhand market..
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt Newsome has a Balmoral Tartan child's kilt with built in vest that his kids wore when they were small, and there were two Balmoral Tartan kilts in a military antique shop here in Victoria, BC in 2009.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post

While I agree with everything you say, let me turn it around.

There is no rule, not even a convention or expectation that you must wear a team color jersey when attending a footy match.
    You can wear any shirt of your choosing.

There is no rule, convention or expectation that someone must wear a letterman's jacket in school colors while at school or later in life.
    You can choose to wear any style or color jacket.

I have no Highland Clan or Scottish family association. Just one ancestor who, in the early 1800's, listed on a census form that his father was born in Scotland.
    So I wear no Clan affliated Tartans. But I am a kiltmaker, so -

I have a Highland Granite Tartan kilt made by Barb Tewksbury.
    I wear the Isle of Skye Tartan just because the colors are so magnificently beautiful.
    I wear the Black Watch Tartan, weathered version, for the same reason.
    I wear the Victoria, City of Gardens Tartan because I designed it as my gift to my adopted city.
    I wear The Company of Adveturers/Hudson' Bay Co. Tartan for, well, I live in Canada.
    I wear the USMC Dress Blue Tartan.
    And I guess the closest I come to a Clan Tartan is my X Marks Tartan kilt.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear the tartan of my surname, usually the hunting version because I like it better.

If I see someone else wearing the same tartan (rare but it has happened). I would certainly make a point of speaking to them.

If we shared the surname I would be pleased and discuss potential blood ties.

If they said it was because of their Great Grandfather on their mother's side I would still be pleased but less interested in seeking a blood relationship which is so far removed.

If they said "I just like the colours" I would be mildly miffed but certainly not enough to say anything unkind. I have no rights of ownership of the tartan any more than I would a street called my surname. (Unless it was named for me but I have yet to do anything notable enough for that.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123