X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking for a little advise

my son who is getting married and expecting (well his fiancé is) and he has gotten a little to big for the kilts he owns so has asked me to sell them. I will put them up in a bit but I've never sold a kilt before so can any one tell me how to package them so they arrive in good shape. Can they be laid out and folded top to bottom to fit in a mail bag and approximately how much do they cost to mail. Thanks for any advise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzbass View Post
    my son who is getting married and expecting (well his fiancé is) and he has gotten a little to big for the kilts he owns so has asked me to sell them. I will put them up in a bit but I've never sold a kilt before so can any one tell me how to package them so they arrive in good shape. Can they be laid out and folded top to bottom to fit in a mail bag and approximately how much do they cost to mail. Thanks for any advise
    I sold one kilt here a while back. i packed it in a flat box, folded in thirds, then in half top to bottom, but it in a bag, then the box before sealing it. It was acrylic, so it was fairly light weight.

As to cost, if you have the zip code of the buyer and the service you want to use, you can find the exact rate, which is what i charged. It will vary depending on distance and carrier.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzbass View Post
    If possible, I'd baste the pleats together but if not, then all will still be well. As has been mentioned, wrap everything in a plastic bag because sometimes packages are left out and they will get wet. I usually do one of two things: hold the kilt in front of me with the inside facing me and the outside facing away. I then roll it from left towards the right so the inside of the kilt is exposed. (Or, the second way is to hold it the other way around so that after rolling the kilt, the outside of the kilt is exposed.) As I roll, I make sure the pleats are in good form so they don't get wrinkled.

I then use a USPS medium flat-rate box. With the kilt in a plastic bag, I gently fold it so it fits into the box -- usually in a U-shape so there's no creasing. I then pack paper or newsprint or something (sometimes more plastic bags) into the middle of the U.

I hope this could be helpful.

Jonathan

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grizzbass:

I've sold a handful of kilts and used the USPS Priority Mail shipping box, sized medium, side loading. It is delivered in 3 days or less at a flat rate of $14.35, I believe. I will smooth out the kilt, even up the pleats and put it into a 13 gallon kitchen trash bag, taped shut. The plastic helps me to slide it into the box, then the ends are sealed and you take the box to the post office. Hope this helps.

JMB

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blupiper For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most fun way to pack a kilt is to buy a new one and then use the box and packing to pack the one you're mailing.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    The most fun way to pack a kilt is to buy a new one and then use the box and packing to pack the one you're mailing.
    you might have something there