X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Cromach height is a bit of a moving target. Yes I think the ideal height to aim for would be nipple height, but its best to aim a couple of inches higher to start with. Why? Every now and then the tip will break off, often in two inch lengths, so roughly after say twenty years or so of regular and almost daily use, the cromach will need a new shaft as it will be uncomfortably short by then. I think I have had two new shafts with my cromach which must be nearly sixty years old now -------well the horn and silver bits are!
    Sounds somewhat, Jock, like the old woodsman who, pointing to his axe in the corner said, "Yup. Best axe I've ever had. It's had three heads and five handles."

Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Sure, if I'm doing a serious backpacking trip where I expect to abuse my stick and put it to hard use, I'll use my plain walking staff from Brazos Walking Sticks. The "combi-spike" feature allows the bottom rubber foot to be removed, exposing a spike that's very handy.
    Tobus, your comment about the interchangeable tip brings me to this link where just such a tip can be added: http://www.leevalley.com/en/home/Search.aspx?action=n American pricing here: http://www.leevalley.com/us/home/Search.aspx?action=n The American page for this Canadian company shows less on the lead-up page, but when you click the link, they're all there.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Sounds somewhat, Jock, like the old woodsman who, pointing to his axe in the corner said, "Yup. Best axe I've ever had. It's had three heads and five handles."
    As I was typing that piece, I just knew that someone would come up with that joke! Well done, Bill.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Cromach height is a bit of a moving target. Yes I think the ideal height to aim for would be nipple height, but its best to aim a couple of inches higher to start with. Why? Every now and then the tip will break off, often in two inch lengths, so roughly after say twenty years or so of regular and almost daily use, the cromach will need a new shaft as it will be uncomfortably short by then. I think I have had two new shafts with my cromach which must be nearly sixty years old now -------well the horn and silver bits are!
    When making my own antler topped versions I just make them a few inches too long and then trim from the bottom until height feels right. The shape of the antler handle changes your grip point. This is more important than overall height. While out running the dogs this morning I checked the height of one of my favourites against Jock's standard and found I grip it just about an inch above my nipple. However, I have to consider that my nipple may be an inch lower than it was when I made this one about ten years ago, everything else is slipping.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Jock Scot on this one!

Sometimes traditional things can be still really useful!

My ash cromach is far and away the best of my hiking staves. It is really light, very strong, and it's diameter is smaller than a lot of other hiking sticks which paired with the crook handle makes it very comfortable to the hand.

The fact that they also look rather nice is just a bonus.

Me yesterday

(Wondering about the bright red hose? We do have a fair number of ticks here in the Bay Area so when hiking it is best to have very light or bright socks that will make it easy to spy them if they try to hitch a ride on your leg!)

Cheers

Jamie
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Panache For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Sometimes traditional things can be still really useful!

My ash cromach is far and away the best of my hiking staves. It is really light, very strong, and it's diameter is smaller than a lot of other hiking sticks which paired with the crook handle makes it very comfortable to the hand.

The fact that they also look rather nice is just a bonus.

Me yesterday

[IMG]https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/56595514_3164266700255575_2806447719877443584_n.jp g?_nc_cat=109&_nc_eui2=AeEEj5u8-ctx4gt4rMXR-93o5PeSdVEFGbreZ9jC8umRfBBn5Y7Icmm5oAPMdhU6_hw3uye 4NlXNxct4GMfgNsmw2LVoXsXimo6rBn_g2V208A&_nc_ht=sco ntent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=de8ab4d645e3d5a1bf4963520c5c5ccb&oe=5D385A C6

(Wondering about the bright red hose? We do have a fair number of ticks here in the Bay Area so when hiking it is best to have very light or bright socks that will make it easy to spy them if they try to hitch a ride on your leg!)

Cheers

Jamie
    That's a nice stick! Mind if I ask where you got it?

OP, I have a shepard's crook from tractor supply. They come quite tall (6' i believe) and I've cut it to the height I like. It was only $20.

It's nowhere near as handsome as Panache's and doesn't taper to the end so it's not as elegant. I'm sure someone could either sand or lathe one to a nice taper though.

Ironically I've used it for hiking in shorts but never in my kilt. I'll probably use it at the vista highland games in June though.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to thank all of you. A good friend of mine is acquiring one custom made in Scotland and will be bringing it over when he comes to visit me in September. We are having it made in two sections with a nice threaded connector. Will post photos when it gets here.

CTB
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbuchanan View Post
    I want to thank all of you. A good friend of mine is acquiring one custom made in Scotland and will be bringing it over when he comes to visit me in September. We are having it made in two sections with a nice threaded connector. Will post photos when it gets here.

CTB
    Sounds like a first-rate bit of kit. I'll look forward to seeing the posts!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Retired Forum Manager
    Gentleman of X Marks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    That's a nice stick! Mind if I ask where you got it?

My lovely F-H.C.A.G.* bought it for me in San Francisco at William Glen and Son years ago. I believe they still stock them.

Cheers

Jamie

* Flame-Haired Celtic Amazon Goddess
    -See it there, a white plume
    Over the battle - A diamond in the ash
    Of the ultimate combustion-My panache

Edmond Rostand

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123