X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to buy cromach in USA

I am looking to purchase a custom made cromach as a gift for a friend. Does anyone know of someone who makes them? Google search isn't coming up with much here in the USA and I'm just afraid that the postage and duty from the UK would be pretty high. I'm not looking for inexpensive but prefer quality workmanship.

Any suggestions appreciated.

CTB
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our member Thomas Holcombe was making some real beauties. You might want to PM him if he doesn't spot this. He's U.S. based.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've have not purchased from here yet, but I've been looking. http://www.wolston.com/crooks/crooks.html
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A sheep herding supply store.

Kind of like this one. - https://www.sheepman.com/product-cat...herding-tools/

A cromach is a tool used in the herding of sheep. Yes, you see some photos of guys in kilts with a cromach but that has nothing to do with the kilt. It is to show that they are also sheep herders.

Or thinking that it makes them look more like landed Gentry. (Landed Gentry - A British social class below nobility or peerage that own land and usually an estate or country house. The Landed Gentry were not in business, "The taint of trade" and instead of making or producing something, instead of having a job, lived off the income derived from rents.)
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 17th February 19 at 03:30 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have mobility issues then get a proper mobility aid. If you need a staff to help you on hilly terrain use a proper walking staff.

A Cromach is also called a shepherd crook. But what is so often seen is a guy in a kilt, in his estate tweeds, leaning on it, just for the visual appeal.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the cromach can look pretentious of that there is little doubt and particularly so, to those outwith Scotland and those from outwith the rural loop. However we need not be too dismissive of its use. As an aid to help one across rough ground it is very useful. I will also add from long personal experience of assorted joint and back pains, the cromach is extremely helpful to lean on to take some of the strain when standing around for much of the day where seating may be at a premium such as, out shooting, following hounds on foot, at market and yes, at a Highland Games or some such function.

So yes there are lots of sticks, poles, aids to do the job, some no doubt made of some super strong, light weight, space age, techno material, but many choose a stick made from wood and horn, that is pleasing to the eye and comfortable to the hand. I know which I would choose.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 18th February 19 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Added an after thought.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

10. The Following 15 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could not claim they are a cromach but I have made a few of my own "Sticks". I use them for all the same purposes as Jock. They cost less than $2 to make and except for brass plumbing parts from the hardware store they are all local materials. Shed whitetail deer antlers and ironwood (hornbeam) sapling. If anyone is interested I am happy to share how I do it. I have attached a picture of my current favourite. I use it every day. I took the picture on my dog walk this afternoon.

Last edited by Singlemalt; 18th February 19 at 02:54 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Singlemalt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Singlemalt, I would like the details of how you make your sticks. I have a few pieces of wood seasoning in the garage and really ought to put them to use.

Father Bill referred to another member, Thomas Holcombe," who makes beautiful sticks. I regret to say that, although he has a fine name, I am not him. My sticks look pretty much like sticks one might pick up in the woods.

Holcombe Thomas

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CTB,

Last year, I began searching for a cromach (shepherds crook). I wanted a smooth wood shaft and a classic horn handle. I could not find a source for a stick such as this in the USA. I found it here => https://espleywalkingsticks.co.uk/pr...pherds-crooks/.

Here is my XMTS post, with pictures, about my cromach => http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...y-wales-94815/.

The shipping cost was just under half the cost of the cromach, but the total cost was still less than several importers (including Amazon.com), and Tony came highly recommended. The shipment was trackable online, and it was delivered to me in just a few days. I was very pleased.

Here are pictures:

Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

15. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the tips and recommendations. All worth considering.

CTB
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast