X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USA Kilts reenactor model

Has anyone here gotten a USA Kilts reenactor model? I'm looking at getting one from them in Cameron of Errecht in remembrance of the 75th anniversary of D Day. They do not have these listed on their normal website, but are a special order only item (as noted on the blog page for it). Here is the linkhttps://usakilts.com/blog/military-k...eenactors.html
    Are these built to 'everyone-is-the-same-height-regardless' length of some vintage military kilts or are these like Rocky's standard custom kilts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I'd like one of those for A & S with box pleats.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittedReenactor View Post
    Are these built to 'everyone-is-the-same-height-regardless' length of some vintage military kilts or are these like Rocky's standard custom kilts?
    They are built to your measurements with whatever length you specify, but they'll have a 4" rise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rocky!
    BTW the livestreams were definitely a good idea.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The binding is grass-green, not an "army green" looking green like sage or olive.

The colour is most widely seen on the ribbons and embroidery on Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders kilts

Last edited by OC Richard; 26th February 19 at 08:28 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who might be interested, I finally got around to placing my order with USAKilts. I kept checking and rechecking my measurements over the past couple of weeks before I finally was satisfied that they were correct.
    As many can probably attest, it can be a big pill to swallow spending that much money on just one article of clothing that is tailor made without even meeting in person.
    It should be noted that I was not apprehensive about them screwing up, but me screwing up.
    Now the waiting game...

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to KnittedReenactor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally Here

I finally received my kilt from USA Kilts on Wednesday. What I can say directly out of the box is:
    1. It is the correct tartan, Cameron of Erracht Modern, pleated to the correct, yellow, stripe.
    2. It did NOT come with the pleats basted. Two or three of the center back pleats came out of the box a little twisted, but on the whole they stayed in place together like they should have.
    3. Total length of tartan material is about 7.5 yards and I could not find a seam, so most likely made from single width cloth.
    4. I understand USA Kilts tends to send the scraps from the manufacturer of each kilt with, to allow for various projects by the purchaser. I did not receive any, but there may have not been any of usable size.
    5. Upon trying it on, I had to crank down to the very last hole on each strap, and no, I haven't lost any appreciable weight since ordering.
    6. Tight machine stitching, good linen liner sewn down fully across pleats, hair canvas interfacing along entire waist.
    7. I ordered the kilt on March 21st, being quoted a delivery target of 6-10 weeks. It was finally delivered after 17 weeks/4 months. I asked for updates via email at the beginning of June and July (after 10 and 14 weeks respectively) and was told each time effectively 'give it two more weeks'.
    8. There was no shipping invoice email received, letting me know it was coming.
    9. Total cost of kilt plus matching flashes and shipping was $683 US. The kilt itself was $650. Included two strawberry and one butterscotch candy, along with stack of business cards, and paper invoices and receipt.