X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Jacket advice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacket advice?

In a similar vein with the question of a black or charcoal jacket, I have been wondering about jacket color also. As I try really hard to stay away from anything that would require a Prince Charlie jacket (or a tuxedo), I am leaning towards something tweed that wouldn't be too out of place if I had to go to something like a wedding where the men wore kilts.

I have seen a picture of one of the officers of my clan society wearing what appears to be a green tweed jacket and vest, and I thought it looked good, as our clan tartan is mostly dark green and blue. But would a dark highland green tweed jacket be too out of place for a wedding? Or maybe it would depend on the wedding?

What think ye?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might depend on the time of day and the bride.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Father Bill said, much depends on the desires of those getting married. Some opt for great formality, others for less.

Another factor is whether you are a guest or a member of the wedding party. If you are part of the bride's or groom's "team," there will likely be a sort of "uniform" expected. As a guest, you have a lot more leeway.

At any rate, I would always check with the bride or groom, to make sure I wasn't "out of step" with what the couple wants for their big day.

Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, just to be clear, no wedding is immanent, so there is no bride to ask. I was just wondering whether a dark green tweed jacket would generally be considered too informal at some as-yet-unspecified wedding, if I ended up going to such a wedding. I suppose a dark charcoal jacket is more formal, but I rather liked the green.

Of course I suppose I could save up and eventually get both jackets. I'm sure the kilt vendors wouldn't mind...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tweed is tweed. The colour does not change the formality of a tweed jacket. If you are looking for something more formal then you would want something of a different material say barathea or velvet depending on the venue.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuathanach View Post
    I was just wondering whether a dark green tweed jacket would generally be considered too informal at some as-yet-unspecified wedding, if I ended up going to such a wedding.
    IMHO, If you would wear a standard business suit to the wedding then yes a dark green tweed jacket would be fine.
    Most weddings I have attended in the past few years (and I do quite a few as a piper) I find that there are less and less people even wearing jackets and ties. Ladies get all gussied up, men less so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an observation, I am not trying to sway your decision but just offering experience. I have been wearing a kilt for over 50 years. I look for any opportunity to wear it that feels appropriate. I wore one at my own wedding, and at my son's (as did he). In 50 years I have worn a kilt to weddings other than these exactly twice. In both cases they were second marriages of close friends and the bride specifically asked I wear my kilt. No matter how much we say "it is just clothes" even here where kilts are not that uncommon they do attract attention. I think you should ask yourself how much attention do you want to attract to yourself at someone else's wedding?

Obviously if you are a piper at said wedding everything changes. At the two weddings I was asked to don the kilt I wore a green/brown checked tweed kilt jacket and felt quite comfortable amongst a mix of open shirts, sports jackets and suits.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Singlemalt For This Useful Post: