X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt hose advice

Hi all!

I'm soon to be putting on the double harness, and I recently purchased a kilt in this tartan for my best man to wear at the wedding. I was looking for the rabble's opinion on kilt hose colours to complement this particular tartan. My best man has never worn a kilt before, so I was thinking something subdued, like navy blue. He'll be wearing a black Argyll jacket and vest with the silver buttons swapped out for black, a brown "regimental" sporran and strap, and a white shirt. What tie he will have is unknown, but something low-key and subtle (not necessarily somber).

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Cameron
    I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened by old ones. John Cage

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go for Navy or Bottle Green.

3. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I'd go for Navy or Bottle Green.
    Thanks mate. I'm wearing bottle green, so I wanted to avoid being too matchy.
    I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened by old ones. John Cage

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Day wedding, I presume?

With the stipulation of keeping things subdued but not somber, and with bottle green already claimed by the groom, it looks like a navy blue would be the last remaining obvious option. Of course, there's also charcoal or black, but those are rather boring.

I was curious about the choice to have him wear a brown regimental-style sporran with a black Argyll jacket and black buttons. Will he be wearing brown shoes with the brown sporran, or black? Will he be wearing a belt with the kilt, and if so, what colour? I'm just trying to get a sense of the overall outfit before suggesting any other colour options for the hose.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a kilt in the same MacDonald modern tartan. Bottle green and navy work well, but my favourite is grey.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being a MacDonald, Navy, Green, or Black, will do just fine. I would use red flashes....
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey cousin, this may help. Here's the Macdonald tartan with maroon, dark green, and black kilt hose.

Last edited by Riverkilt; 19th February 19 at 07:57 AM.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Navy or a charcoal grey would be my choices

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Day wedding, I presume?

With the stipulation of keeping things subdued but not somber, and with bottle green already claimed by the groom, it looks like a navy blue would be the last remaining obvious option. Of course, there's also charcoal or black, but those are rather boring.

I was curious about the choice to have him wear a brown regimental-style sporran with a black Argyll jacket and black buttons. Will he be wearing brown shoes with the brown sporran, or black? Will he be wearing a belt with the kilt, and if so, what colour? I'm just trying to get a sense of the overall outfit before suggesting any other colour options for the hose.
    Thanks for bringing this up, I honestly hadn't thought about the colour of the leather next to the jacket... I guess black regimental sporran and strap will be the way to go. He'll be wearing a waistcoat, so no belt.

Cheers,

Cameron

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manxstralian View Post
    Thanks for bringing this up, I honestly hadn't thought about the colour of the leather next to the jacket... I guess black regimental sporran and strap will be the way to go. He'll be wearing a waistcoat, so no belt.
    Ah, I missed the bit about wearing a vest with the jacket.

I would suppose that traditionally a black sporran would be the 'correct' choice with a black Argyll, but now you've got me curious as to whether a brown sporran is acceptable with that jacket. I can't say that I've ever seen it done (or at least I don't recall seeing it). I wonder what others here have to say about that option? Would this be an unusual pairing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast