X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    That looks nice with the MacLeod of Harris, Shane. I would look for a brown pocket square and pair it with a light blue woven tie and matching flashes. Brown heath colour hose would be great as well. Also with that outfit switch sporrans with the lewis kit, as that one will stand out nicely on the Harris kilt.
    Thanks - I think you are right about the sporran. The waistcoat and sporran seem to blend and I think the other sporran would break things up more. I've never considered brown hose - I'll definitely look into getting a pair to try out.

For the Lewis kit I would probably get some blue hose to come close to the jacket, yellow or brown flashes and a yellow woven tie with matching pocket square. A dark sporran always works better with that tartan. Black is best, I find. Especially if you are wearing MacLeod modern colours and not the weathered hues.
    I also don't have blue hose that are anywhere close to the jacket but a pair of lovat blue hose are on my to buy list. As for the flashes, I knit the red ones and plan to make at least green, blue and yellow pairs for some options.

Thanks,

Shane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinenotburn View Post
    That looks nice with the MacLeod of Harris, Shane. I would look for a brown pocket square and pair it with a light blue woven tie and matching flashes. Brown heath colour hose would be great as well. Also with that outfit switch sporrans with the lewis kit, as that one will stand out nicely on the Harris kilt.

For the Lewis kit I would probably get some blue hose to come close to the jacket, yellow or brown flashes and a yellow woven tie with matching pocket square. A dark sporran always works better with that tartan. Black is best, I find. Especially if you are wearing MacLeod modern colours and not the weathered hues.
    I would caution against the idea of brown as a good accessory colour. Pocket squares are best, white linen, or coloured, and or pattrened silk. Brown is to colour of dirt, and seen as un-clean. Not the kind of 'rag' you want peaking out of your pocket. I feel the same about the brown flashes. Many colours are available today, and when I think 'FLASH', brown does not fit.

Don't get caught up on this colour thing, like so many seem to. A lot get it wrong. Complementary is just that. Colours that go well together, and opposite on a colour wheel. The black on black thing from a decade ago was a fad, and showed people's inability to have an imagination or good taste.

As a final note of advice... keeping in the spirit of the National dress, a quote that those that "... deprive the garb of its ornaments or reduce it to the drab monotony of Anglo-Saxon evening clothes are un-Scottish and contemptible".

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234