X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nae bother

a hat helps, and I sometimes wear a sheepskin or a vintage Crombie over the top as it gets down to about -20c here...

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mountain climbers have a saying, "Cotton kills".
    I will echo what others have said . 16 ounce 8 to 9 yard kilt, good hose, wool cap ( I alternate between a MOD tam and a knit and felted blue tam).
    The knees are no bother as they are mainly bone and tendon.
    If you are going to be out for a while, I would suggest a nice pair of gloves as well. If your hands and feet are warm, it seems to be much easier to keep the rest of you warm.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

4. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Fedgunner For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just reminded of a time when I had more money than sense . I commissioned a Harris tweed Inverness cape.
    It seemed like a great idea at the time . Considering the winters in Central Minnesota.
    I have worn it twice. I simply never had the need for the extra layer.
    Last edited by Fedgunner; 28th February 19 at 04:44 PM.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Fedgunner For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a Texan, I can't claim the same kind of experiences in cold weather as others. Temperatures in the teens or twenties (Fahrenheit) are about the lowest we typically see here. But with that said, I agree that kilts are quite warm and the exposed knees aren't as big of an issue as one might expect. A good pair of thick cable-knit hose (not the thin type typically worn) is a big help for the lower legs, and a 16oz 8yd kilt does plenty from the knees up.

Comfort in the cold typically comes down to keeping your core/torso warm, your head warm, and protecting your extremities (hands and feet). For the torso, I think the kilt worn at the proper waist with a shirt, tweed waistcoat, and tweed jacket is a goodly amount of layering over vital organs. But when it's not enough, you might consider a "laird's plaid" that can be wrapped numerous ways around your chest or draped over the shoulders as additional protection. Depending on how it's folded and/or wrapped, it can add numerous layers of wool around your chest. Additionally, if you do feel the need to cover your legs down to below the knees, it can accommodate that as well. The plaid has many centuries of proof for keeping people warm, and of course it goes quite naturally with the kilt!

8. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an Inverness cape made, with some modifications for the winter (i.e., a longer cape, slightly longer coat, high collar that turns up, thicker fabric). Works anywhere as long as the wind is not too fierce.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Dileasgubas For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear my wool kilt in winter often, even in the -20C range. My knees have been fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up in Central Ontario where temperatures of -20F (-30C) were pretty common. It was long enough ago that the girls had to wear skirts to school. I don't remember hearing of any frozen knees. As others have said keep your head and core warm and your body will look after the extremities. I remember learning early if your hands or feet are cold put on a hat.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Singlemalt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stayin' warm!

I echo past contributor's comments about a 8-yard-style, 16 oz wool kilt. Further, tall boots and/or tall wool socks are very helpful as well as keeping my core, head, hands, feet warm. I also wear thigh-length merino wool boxer briefs. If temperatures creep below -10C, then I'll wear merino wool leggings and scrap the boxer briefs.

Guluck,
    Jonathan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12