X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kilt Kamp 2019 Traditional course information

Hi all! Barb Tewksbury here. I'm the instructor for the traditional track of Kilt Kamp 2019. Whether you've sewn a lot but never made a kilt, made kilts before but want to try a different style, or never picked up a needle, I will teach you how to make a hand-sewn kilt by traditional methods. Here is some info to help you decide whether you want to make a trad kilt or a contemporary one (see Steve's thread for info on that). If you choose to register for the trad track, I'll send you detailed information on what you'll actually need for KK.

Fabric: Traditional kiltmaking methods work best with fabric woven specifically kilts, which is a worsted wool in twill weave. Most people choose kilting tartan, although a few solid colors are available from mills that weave kilting tartan. Heavy weight tweed (e.g., Harris tweed) also makes a fabulous traditional kilt.

Style: You can choose from a number of different styles of traditional kilt, which I've illustrated in the diagram and pics below. I've also included a couple of additional options that are sewn with traditional methods but that fit a bit differently.

Traditional knife pleated kilt: 8 yards ア, depending on the size of the person. This style of kilt is what most people think of as "a kilt", and it's what Highland dancers and most pipe bands wear. May be pleated to the sett (Highland Granite, far right), stripe (Antarctica), or "no-stripe" (Scottish Wildcat, below center)

Traditional box pleated kilt: 4 yards ア. This is the most traditional of kilt styles, dating from the end of the 1700s. Scottish Odyssey tartan below.

Traditional Kingussie kilt: 6 yards ア. This style dates from the early 1800s and has a central box pleat with knife pleats facing away from the central box pleat. Pic from KK a few years ago - Hudson Bay Company tartan - hhastings, Barb T, and Okiwen.

Traditional reverse Kingussie kilt: 5-8 yards. This style has a central inverted box pleat and knife pleats facing toward the center back. Scottish Wildcat Tartan below (contrast with same tartan under knife pleats above!!).

Traditional methods but non-traditional fit: Traditional methods can be used to make a kilt with a lower rise and a different length. Below, you'll see pics of a Kingussie kilt that I made for my daughter who was awash in traditional-fit kilts (she's a piper and a Highland dancer) and wanted something built like a kilt but with a dropped waist and a longer length. The second pic shows a similar lower waist, but a shorter length (and a toddler kilt to go with it, see below). Ignore the basting stitches on the two kilts at right! Hudson Bay Company (left) and Rose Nisbet (right).

Baby/toddler kilt: This is also an option, although it's quite a quick process, and you'd probably want to plan to make something else in addition. Both kilts below are PV, which is essential for little ones because it's not itchy and it's machine washable!!

Last edited by Barb T; 23rd February 19 at 09:56 AM.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registration?

I am planning on registering for your course. I have Scottish Wildcat tartan, and would like to know what thread and other items I would need to bring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registration?

I am planning on registering for your course. I have Scottish Wildcat tartan, and would like to know what thread and other items I would need to bring.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan

Hey Barb

I知 currently gearing up for Kilt Kamp 2020, working through your book ... page 60 thus far. Only a couple points I知 not completely clear on, but I致e every confidence you値l set me right at Kamp.

Just one thing, I知 working on my tartan budget, was planning on an 8-yard 16oz ... hopefully the budget permits. I致e thus far settled on four tartans I really like. All related to one branch of my family or another. The big but is that I知 finding all four tartans only available from D C Dalgliesh through Scotsweb ... this might make this my most costly option. So I must budget properly. I will have the material ordered once I知 accepted through next years Kamp registration.

What I知 wondering, is if it would be best to place the tartan order through you. As I知 seeing right now, the price for 8 meters of tartan is quite dear. Worst case, I might have to build a 5-6 yard kilt instead.

Regardless, I知 going to keep a watch on the Scotsweb site should either of the four tartan options become available off the shelf.

Thanks for all you do ... you and Steve both, for hosting these Kamps. I知 looking forward to a truly awesome experience.

-Cheers

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to javankrona For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can definitely order tartan for you - whatever you decide on, I can get wholesale prices. Why don稚 you PM me, and we can talk outside the Forum?

Barb
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com