X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argyle Jacket and Waistcoat

My wife and I will be in Scotland July 29-August 10th, starting in Edinburgh,and I thought to look for an affordable Kilt jacket and waistcoat. I'm not looking for anything formal, but casual to wear to church, or out to eat, and possibly to local Celtic festivals.

I'm sure I can find plenty of places to buy, but I'm not looking for the really expensive stuff. If I wore it every day, then I'd be inclined to pay a lot more. Someone suggested checking out the rental places that are moving their stock.

I'm looking for someone to tell me not only where to look, but places to stay away from. I've heard, "stay away from the **** stuff", and "you get what you pay for". Would I find a better deal up north, out of the big cities, or not?

What say you experts in kilt wear?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, you're in the U.S. - I'd look for a local kilt rental near home that's clearing some stock. You wouldn't have to pack or ship it home, you'd see what you're getting and try it on, and a lot of them will re-size it to fit properly just as they would with a rental. That's how I got my first Argyle and I loved it!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster, lover of God, people (most of them!) dogs, joy, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, dreamer, traditionalist, bon-vivant, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Sinclair.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take a look at

www.ebay.co.uk

or as Father Bill says a local Highland wear shop that is getting rid of the ex-rental supply. Also you can look at the For Sale section on this forum. I've done all of those with great results. If you really want to get one while you are over then prepare to pay more for it.

Another thought is to go to

https://www.kilts4less.com

I've purchased a jacket from them & the price was reasonable & shipping was amazingly fast.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the attraction to getting a jacket and vest while in Scotland. Bragging rights come with purchase. You can go the route suggested if you don't find the items you want while overseas. I hope you success there. Good hunting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If purchasing in the UK you may have to pay VAT on your purchase.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Randy McIntosh For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do wish to buy while in Scotland you could try Gumtree, which is like Kijiji or Craigslist. Some great deals, some rip offs and everything in between.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    In Edinburgh Armstrongs in the Grassmarket usually have used kilt-related items. You will find more choice in Edinburgh, just avoid the main tourist drags, Royal Mile and Princes Street.
    I'd second EdinSteve. Armstrong's does also have two other locations - Across from Bistro Square and Clerk Street.

Clerk Street also has several charity shops. I got a lovely second hand tweed Argyle jacket from one of them.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsty View Post
    ........Clerk Street also has several charity shops. I got a lovely second hand tweed Argyle jacket from one of them....
    The Argylle tweed, which is in transit from the UK, was being sold by a charity shop. I was going to make the suggestion, Hirsty beat me to it.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"