X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A member has passed away

It is with sadness that I inform the rabble of the recent passing of Scott MacMillan of Rathdown, username MacMillan of Rathdown.

I do not know Scott's family and was informed of the news in a Facebook group but Scott was a long time member of xmarksthescot.com. His knowledge of heraldry, etiquette and traditional highland attire were a valuable contribution to many threads.

I post to xmarks infrequently these days but thought the members would like to know, especially those who remember when he was most active on the forum.

Blessed be the Devine Judge of Truth. May Scott's memory be for a blessing.

Rest peacefully, Rathdown.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry to hear this; I enjoyed his posts. May he rest peacefully.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rathdown had great knowldege and experience as an Irish herald. He will be missed.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His presence will be missed. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.
    It's coming yet for a' that,
    That Man to Man, the world o'er,
    Shall brothers be for a' that. - RB

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to MacRobert's Reply For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for letting us know. A special title has been placed in his profile "In Rememberance".
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

9. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me Scott was more than just another forum member, rather he was a friend, a true friend who would defend both his views and yours staunchly if he believed in your cause. He was the type of man who you wanted in your corner. The most generous and hospitable of chaps. I was talking to him not long ago and wish I had called again but that was not to be.

I will forever remember the time spent as a guest at his home. A better host you’d never find. I miss him already.

Last edited by McMurdo; 25th February 19 at 09:47 PM.

11. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was very sad news to see that FB post on Scott's passing. Although, I had not seen him for a few years I had some good times and conversations with him. Here is a pic of a XMTS Meet Up at the Meadow Highland Games (VA) in 2011. Scott is second from the right. I always found Scott very encouraging on whatever subject we discussed.

He had quite a life and had a many a good story to tell. Here is one to share. They may be some reading this like me can remember the Jane Fonda Work Out … I hesitate to say DVDs because I don't think they were invented when the VCRs were released. Nevertheless, the company that Scott worked for turned Fonda down on producing the Work Out videos. Scott asked the company if it was OK for him to talk to her about his doing them, independently. And as they say the rest is history.

13. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Mael Coluim For This Useful Post:

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rathdown and I had some long-winded debates about the Macmillans of Lochaber. Almost all of those discussions were outwith this forum and by e-mail, attachments and personal call. Our disagreements were based on our understandings of history and of the formation of the Clan Chattan and the Clan Cameron, but we respected each other's opinions and knowledge. I am indeed sorry that we can't now have the opportunity to take up where we left off just two years ago.

But I am so very pleased that I had the opportunity to meet him on XMarks, and to begin those many debates with him.

In this sad time of our loss of Rathdown we must keep in mind those who are with us still and have so contributed to our cultural and kilt knowledge: Hamish, Sandy, Jamie, Jock, Peter, Steve, and so many more.

Rex/ThistleDown

15. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so sorry to read of this sad news.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sad to hear. Enjoyed his posts; a wonderful way with words. Even in disagreement, a treat. In person,
    he was, to me, kind and receptive, though we were clearly very different people in many ways. Prayers.

19. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post: