X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad, they are undertech. Well tried to post photo but it says it failed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something similar happened to me back when I first started going kilted. I was wearing a cotton utility kilt while walking my usual laps of the building on my lunch break at work, when I was monroed by a sudden gust of wind. There were several people nearby, but I didn't particularly care if any of them saw...until the head of HR called my manager and said one of them complained that I wasn't wearing underwear.

Now, it could've been their imagination as the exposure was very quick, and I was wearing heather gray briefs that thus could've been harder to discern from my rather pale thighs (my previously-mentioned Mediterranean complexion only applies to areas that see direct sunlight ). But when I went to the head of HR to assure her that I know better than to go "regimental" at work, she said that from what she knows of the person who complained (I never did find out who), they were probably just trying to start trouble.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally I don't but on those occasions when I do - either to avoid embarrassing others or to avoid chaffing whilst exercising - I usually wear sporty lycra boxers.
    The 'Eathen in his idleness bows down to wood and stone,
    'E don't obey no orders unless they is his own,
    He keeps his side arms awful,
    And he leaves them all about,
    Until up comes the Regiment and kicks the 'Eathen out.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got my first kilt in the early 1950's, it came supplied with a matching pair of tartan briefs, made out of, I guess, the same material as the kilt. Now I have always been mildly allergic to or irritated by coarse wool next to my skin and to make matters worse there was no stretch in those briefs at all and they were not a loose fit, so a more uncomfortable form of underwear is difficult to imagine. They quickly "got lost."
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    When I got my first kilt in the early 1950's, it came supplied with a matching pair of tartan briefs, made out of, I guess, the same material as the kilt. Now I have always been mildly allergic to or irritated by coarse wool next to my skin and to make matters worse there was no stretch in those briefs at all and they were not a loose fit, so a more uncomfortable form of underwear is difficult to imagine. They quickly "got lost."
    I remember those things! The sandpaper effect that they gave was almost bad enough for a young lad to consider not wearing the kilt ever! Amazingly, my “sandpaper briefs” got regularly mislaid too! Cotton and better still, silk briefs were a much better idea, although they only came in dark blue or dark green and not in tartan. They are not on offer, as far as I am aware, from kilt makers these days though.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th April 19 at 12:01 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I remember those things! The sandpaper effect that they gave was almost bad enough for a young lad to consider not wearing the kilt ever! Amazingly, my “sandpaper briefs” got regularly mislaid too! Cotton and better still, silk briefs were a much better idea, although they only came in dark blue or dark green and not in tartan. They are not on offer, as far as I am aware, from kilt makers these days though.
    As far as I can recollect, the soft cotton dark green and dark blue briefs were actually girls school wear but were popular as suitable kilt briefs. Silk ones were presumably the adult equivalent or alternative.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tpa For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpa View Post
    As far as I can recollect, the soft cotton dark green and dark blue briefs were actually girls school wear but were popular as suitable kilt briefs. Silk ones were presumably the adult equivalent or alternative.
    I really have no idea. It’s all so long ago and to be honest I don’t think it occurred to any of us to ask.

Now you have got me thinking, did we males in those times wear something under the kilt as a matter of course or were they just for special occasions? Was wearing something under the kilt general practice?

Well, I am really not sure, but the fact that the kilt makers used to provide “ briefs” as a matter of course suggests it was, at least to an extent. Where did this “ going commando” idea come from? I have no idea, but I think possibly from the military? I also think this “going commando “ thing is part of the kilt wearing bravado myth and a sales gimmick, that seems to prevail these days and that did not exist amongst the natural and dare I say it, traditional kilt wearers of my youth.

I think in my youth it was just considered to be no one else’s business what or even why we might choose to wear something under the kilt, or not and I really cannot even remember thinking about it and still don’t normally, but........it does pose accademic questions. Nevertheless in real life its just a non issue and none of anyone else’s business.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th April 19 at 11:21 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I really have no idea. It’s all so long ago and to be honest I don’t think it occurred to any of us to ask.
    I'm struggling a bit with Jock's professed naivety, but since the kilt's nether garments, whatever the source, were always referred to as "trews", maybe he genuinely didn't twig.
    Alan
    Last edited by neloon; 16th April 19 at 09:44 AM. Reason: spelling

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neloon View Post
    I'm struggling a bit with Jock's professed naivety, but since the kilt's nether garments, whatever the source, were always referred to a "trews", maybe he genuinely didn't twig.
    Alan
    Hello Alan, nice to see you posting.

Yes you are right they were known as trews! Thank you for reminding me.

I think it was more of a slight reticence to mention "unmentionables" to quote a rather straight laced aunt(the only one of her sisters that was!!!), rather than naivety, plus, male underwear was only something that I had a passing interest in and really has not featured much in a fading memory!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    You are obviously unfamiliar with our transatlantic cousins whose description of such items is “intimate apparel”.
    Do you know Steve, I find that the older I get the less that I know!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast