X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I am afraid that I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you Steve. Perhaps in Edinburgh, where kilt attire conventions have been adjusted for decades and if that is anyone's preference then, so be it.

However, quite a number of us out in the sticks , some of them quite young "dinosaurs" and , I might add, are more than capable of making up their own minds on these matters, still choose to conform to earlier kilt dress conventions and these conventions still very much exist today. Its a matter of choice, which is the right of each and every one of us.
    So Jack, If you would please, could you educate us as to what are the"earlier kilt dress conventions and these conventions still very much exist today", as regards proper shirt(s) style to wear with a Sheriffmuir? Some us are still willing to learn what those traditional conventions are ( if even not all will always follow them).
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post deleted for security reasons.

J S.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 4th March 19 at 09:09 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is important to note that each generation (and to a lesser extent nowadays - region) has a different idea of what is correct and proper. Certain expectations, traditions, and affectations are met whilst others are disregarded. Some people push the boundaries of what is acceptable and it becomes fashionable, sometimes it is scoffed at.
    Just look at how suits change decade on decade. Highland dress is no different.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    I will admit right off the bat that the formal end of Highland attire is not my bailiwick, but why would the sheriffmuir lend itself to being worn casually? It seems to be built with components that are typical of more formal jackets (tashes, square metal buttons, etc.). If I saw someone wearing one with a Jacobite shirt, I must admit I would think it looks very strange. Is this something you typically see in your area of Scotland?
    To be fair much as I don't agree with some of the more ridiculous ideas that have grown up around the jacobite shirt I would say that worn with a Scarf worn cravatte fashion over the top with the collar turned up a Jacobite shirt can look just as formal - I dare say you could also wear the shirt open with the collar turned down with the cravatte on the inside at the neck, but then over the top of the lacing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsty View Post
    I think it is important to note that each generation (and to a lesser extent nowadays - region) has a different idea of what is correct and proper. Certain expectations, traditions, and affectations are met whilst others are disregarded. Some people push the boundaries of what is acceptable and it becomes fashionable, sometimes it is scoffed at.
    Just look at how suits change decade on decade. Highland dress is no different.
    I would just add, that those which become acceptable have gone on to become the new normal.

Is it so outlandish to think somewhere, in some remote highland village in the 13th century that an old woman spins some yarn and weaves some cloth and finally sews a shirt for her grandson that comes out looking a lot like what we now call a jacobite shirt, even if only a one off?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proper shirt with Sheriffmuir - metal band t-shirt duuuh...

353C11BE-9673-478B-A9AD-0FE08273981F.jpeg
    Last edited by Profane James; 2nd March 19 at 07:53 AM.
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Profane James For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Me cousin Jack View Post
    I would just add, that those which become acceptable have gone on to become the new normal.

Is it so outlandish to think somewhere, in some remote highland village in the 13th century that an old woman spins some yarn and weaves some cloth and finally sews a shirt for her grandson that comes out looking a lot like what we now call a jacobite shirt, even if only a one off?
    I doubt it somewhat, given that 13thC predates the invention of what we would consider as "the kilt" or even the Belted plaid and the Leine is nothing like a jacobite shirt.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Allan Thomson For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    I doubt it somewhat, given that 13thC predates the invention of what we would consider as "the kilt" or even the Belted plaid and the Leine is nothing like a jacobite shirt.
    Maybe she was a forward thinking hip granny like the one I had.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    In the same way no-one has the right to criticise my choice of wearing a sheriffmuir open with a jacobean shirt. They may not choose to dress in that way but their choice is not my choice.
    I'm curious if you have a picture of a sheriffmuir paired with a Jacobian shirt? I'm having a hard time picturing it and perhaps it looks better than it sounds.

As to judging on dress; while it is indeed up to an individual what they wear, in most cases there is going to be at least some judgement of one's appearance. If I were to show up to work in a dinner jacket, track pants, sport shirt and bow tie, there are going to be at least a few raised eyebrows. Similarly, wearing a tux with a polo shirt while out shopping is going to turn a few heads.

I agree that it is just clothes but like lots of stuff in my closet, before I get dressed I consider both what pairs well and what the social conventions are for dress.

Shane
    Last edited by gsmacleod; 2nd March 19 at 03:27 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double post

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast