X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    In the same way no-one has the right to criticise my choice of wearing a sheriffmuir open with a jacobean shirt. They may not choose to dress in that way but their choice is not my choice.
    Here's where you are wrong. The whole point of free speech, is being able to use it. If I chose to criticise another, I am free to do so. It is up to the person criticized on whether or not they chose to be offended. And anyone who says that judging others is wrong, is a hypocrite and a lier. Everyone judges everyone, and everything, including themselves. Another does not have to be rude when passing judgement, but to say no one has the right to is hyperbole.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and Frank, those who are kind, considerate, and dignified will have their opinions and keep them to themselves. It's called 'manners'.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A really interesting take on “free speech” although I think you may be confusing the term with rudeness or social ineptitude rather than its true ideal as the right to express yourself without fear of retaliation, censorship or legal sanction. In your case I fear that retaliation would be, at best, social exclusion and, at worst physical attack. You may be well advised heeding Father Bill’s wise words and developing “good manners”
    Social ineptitude might well be applied to someone who is unable to take valid criticism without assuming a possible physical attack when none was implied. Anyone can express themselves anyway in which they chose, that also includes the prerogative to criticize the choices of others.

Frank
    Last edited by Highland Logan; 3rd March 19 at 04:53 AM.
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    *snip* Anyone can express themselves anyway in which they chose, that also includes the prerogative to criticize the choices of others.

Frank
    Ah yes. Once again, the point is that while anyone can, it's not necessarily true that they should. Again, it's called 'manners'.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the image; definitely helps with picturing what it would look like.

In any case my original post was not one asking for opinions, it was responding with suggestions to a question asked and it would be more helpful to the OP continuing in that vein rather than seeking to be critical of the opinions of others.
    I went back and looked at the responses to your initial post in the thread and I honestly don't see where any of the responses weren't offered in the spirit of trying to be helpful to the OP. While there were responses that differed from yours, I don't read any of them as an attempt to disparage you but rather offering and experience that is different from yours.

Perhaps this is just another case of the age old problem with internet communication in that it is hard to read tone and intent in the written word which leads to misunderstandings.

Shane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don’t give an opinion as to whether or not you consider it is an acceptable variation. Others have suggested that it is a garment for formal occasions only so it would be helpful to get a reaction.
    In typical fabrics, with a chrome buttons, I associate a sheriffmuir with a more formal level of dress and would expect a white collared shirt with at least a long tie.

In tweed with antler (or similar) buttons, then I could see dressing that up or down depending on the situation.

On your second point, I have no illusions about how some react on the internet and have no issues about that. These kind of “knee-jerk” negative responses help no-one, however, whereas your initial response asking for a picture indicated at least an openness of mind and a willingness to judge on the evidence.
    I didn't see any "knee-jerk" reactions but perhaps I didn't read carefully enough and missed them. I see no issue with someone responding to a post on a forum and someone else coming along, quoting the post and offering a different view.

As a fairly new member here I may be misconstruing some reactions from long-term contributors but it seems that some are only too ready to slap down a “johnny come lately”. “What does he know about these things” is the impression? “This is how it has always been done. It was good enough for my father and his father’s father and it will be good enough for you. And if you don’t like it, well there are plenty other places to go.”
    Please tell me I am wrong and that my opinions can be as valid as any others.
    I am also a new member and have not witnessed any of the issues you speak of. I've been a member of several forums over the years and this is, by far, the least contentious one I've experienced.

Shane

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PERPETUA March 9th
    Opium - Edinburgh

(Elaborating on my Easter egg....carry on)
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a PERPETUA t shirt on the gentleman in the Sheriffmuir.
    "We are all connected...to each other, biologically; to the earth, chemically; to the universe, atomically...and that makes me smile." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Profane James View Post
    I put a PERPETUA t shirt on the gentleman in the Sheriffmuir.
    What does that have to do with the opium and Edinburgh? Plain English, my friend.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PERPETUA is a quality band from Edinburgh and they are apparently playing a show at ‘Opium’ which I assume is a venue in Edinburgh.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast