X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Helpful. Do you know what it stands for? Is it indeed an acronym?
    Acronym; quango*or*QUANGO*(less often*QuANGO*or*QANGO) is a*quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation.
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    Acronym; quango*or*QUANGO*(less often*QuANGO*or*QANGO) is a*quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation.

Thank you. Most of us just call them "NGOs" or Non-Governmental Organizations.

Acronyms normally keep more people 'out' than they bring in.

Bill+
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Most of us just call them "NGOs" or Non-Governmental Organizations.

Acronyms normally keep more people 'out' than they bring in.

Bill+
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    A “QUANGO” is a “QUasi Autonomous Non Governmental Organisation” in other words an unaccountable body set up and funded by government. So if they mess it up the head of the government department really responsible escapes the collateral damage. Great idea isn’t it?
    Like Steve has pointed out, a Quango and an NGO, are two different things. As to acronyms, I can somewhat agree, if they are a local, or inter-group thing... But with Google, you can stop for a second and expand your mind. If the conversations were limited to only what others thought the rest or the group knew, the conversations would limited, short, or just might not happen.

Frank
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Steve has pointed out, a Quango and an NGO, are two different things. As to acronyms, I can somewhat agree, if they are a local, or inter-group thing... But with Google, you can stop for a second and expand your mind. If the conversations were limited to only what others thought the rest or the group knew, the conversations would limited, short, or just might not happen.

Frank
    Frank, I take that as a personal shot. Why is the onus on me to "expand my mind" and not on the original poster of these things to write clearly? I guess you think me to be small-minded when you use that terminology.

Let's end it right here and now.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank, I take that as a personal shot. Why is the onus on me to "expand my mind" and not on the original poster of these things to write clearly? I guess you think me to be small-minded when you use that terminology.

Let's end it right here and now.
    That was not the intention any more than your comment regarding the use of acronyms could have been taken another way. I was just offering the wisdom, that walls have both windows and doors. It was nothing more than that.

Frank
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was not the intention any more than your comment regarding the use of acronyms could have been taken another way. I was just offering the wisdom, that walls have both windows and doors. It was nothing more than that.

Frank
    Well that certainly was the way it sounded. Now... why would you bring up my comment on the use of acronyms and imply that it could have been taken another way? I asked a question and pointed out that acronyms are exclusive. I stand by that. I really think you're trying to provoke me by bringing that up Frank.

Don't, thank you.
    Last edited by Father Bill; 17th March 19 at 01:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that certainly was the way it sounded. Now... why would you bring up my comment on the use of acronyms and imply that it could have been taken another way? I asked a question and pointed out that acronyms are exclusive. I stand by that. I really think you're trying to provoke me by bringing that up Frank.

Don't, thank you.
    I don’t think acronyms can be exclusive in the age of google. Everyone on this site is using a web browser or a smart phone. It took me about a second to highlight the word and click “look up” on my iPhone.

Just my perspective though. Folks are welcome to disagree.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a prize for "Worst Thread Ever"?

If so, this is a serious contender. Hopefully the OP got the contemporary advice he was looking for.
    To the King over the water

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to AbernethyCameron For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw this photo from Gordon Nicolson Kiltmakers & thought I'd add it to the thread.

Here is the caption

We were delighted to help Scott Ainslie to accessorise his kilt for the Premier of Local Hero The Musical at the Lyceum Theatre, and alongside Mark Knopfler who wrote the score.The show has been a great success,
    based on the highly acclaimed 1983 film directed by Bill Forsyth.
    It runs until 4th May
    Last edited by McMurdo; 20th April 19 at 08:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I just saw this photo from Gordon Nicolson Kiltmakers & thought I'd add it to the thread.

Here is the caption

We were delighted to help Scott Ainslie to accessorise his kilt for the Premier of Local Hero The Musical at the Lyceum Theatre, and alongside Mark Knopfler who wrote the score.The show has been a great success,
    based on the highly acclaimed 1983 film directed by Bill Forsyth.
    It runs until 4th May
    Rather than comment on this outfit I think I’ll pour myself a scotch and sit to wait in a comfortable chair, Jock should be along shortly.......
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to MacCathmhaoil For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast