X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper shirt for wear with a Sheriffmuir

I'm planning on buying a Sheriffmuir doublet and vest in rifle green as my birthday gift to myself. I'm curious if there is any "standard" for what shirt to wear with it, as I've seen what look like regular dress shirts, peg collars, and others. Is any one more correct than the others?

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take your pick

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

3. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the above are fine but personally I think a jabot is best as for me the Sheriffmuir's Doublet is a formal item(s) of clothing.

But then again, as with a lot of Highland Dress, personal preference and flair are what makes it. So, within certain boundaries of taste, feel free to express yourself.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    You can wear a sheriffmuir as formally or casually as you like. Casually open with an open-neck even a Jacobean-type shirt or formally but if closed at the neck then best to wear a collarless shirt and jabot. If worn open then any shirt really with a bow tie or regular tie. So you have loads of choices and it’s up to you to decide on the look you want.
    I will admit right off the bat that the formal end of Highland attire is not my bailiwick, but why would the sheriffmuir lend itself to being worn casually? It seems to be built with components that are typical of more formal jackets (tashes, square metal buttons, etc.). If I saw someone wearing one with a Jacobite shirt, I must admit I would think it looks very strange. Is this something you typically see in your area of Scotland?

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really does come down to your preference along with what level of dress you are wanting to emulate. I've worn mine with formal wing tip - with bow or stock tie - and plain turn down collar- with bow or plain tie.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the way back from the Ocean Terminal earlier today I decided to pop in Kinloch Anderson for a mooch - they had a Sheriffmuir on display in an Estate Tweed. I guess having been in the business for over 150 years they know a thing or two about it...
    Last edited by Tomo; 28th February 19 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typos

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tomo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    certainly not a formal jacket in an Estate Tweed.
    My thoughts exactly - not my thing but beautifully done, as you would expect from KA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only jackets that I know to be recognised as truly formal are the now pretty well obsolete Regulation doublet and the later Prince Charlie. All others are local creations by tailors to suit the requirements of their customers and when and how they are worn is a personal decision by the owner unless a strict dress code is pre-ordained, a rarity nowadays. By these I mean the Montrose or Military doublet, the Kenmore, the Sheriffmuir etc. which, while many on a site such as this who have received their influences at second hand accordingly have come to regard them as formal jackets, are really just variations on traditional Scottish garments. I suppose the closest modern Saxon-type approximation I could give is wearing your business suit jacket with jeans and an open neck shirt, quite common nowadays. What should not be done is to try and pigeonhole garments into rigid compartments that they do not and never have belonged in. I suppose it is an attempt to fit Scottish dress into an Anglo Saxon culture without recognising that the two cultures are quite distinct and have developed independently of each other over many hundreds of years.
    And no, it is not something I would typically see in mine or any other area of Scotland. Not through lack of trying but simply that, apart from busking pipers on street corners, occasional hotel doorkeepers and tartan shop assistants the principal highland dress encountered are worn by those on their way to a wedding in their Prince Charlies. You will likely encounter more hen’s teeth in Scotland than you will Sheriffmuir doublets and how they must be worn will be in a similarly intangible territory.
    Highland dress is a free type of dress and attempts to shoehorn it into rigid stereotypes is not one that Scots would necessarily recognise. Certainly there are recognised conventions such as the pleats at the back of the kilt and a Prince Charlie for evening wear if a bit formal but whatever else you choose to wear is an entirely personal decision. Others may disapprove of this, may even be critical due to the misconceptions they have acquired over the years or the egocentric opinions handed down as tablets of stone they may have heard or read. And, of course, these personal opinions that they have developed from these influences are no more nor less than that - personal opinions. They have no relevance to the opinions and choices of anyone else, nor should they have.
    I must say, I was quite happy (and a even a bit relieved) to read that. I've been torn between a genuine fondness for the look of a doublet, and the fact that I literally never find myself at truly formal events.

See, I originally bought an Argyll jacket because I'd seen over and over that if you're only gonna have one jacket, make it an Argyll. However, it ceased to be my only jacket with the arrival of my tweed Braemar, and now I find that it's relegated to those times when tweed just isn't quite dressy enough. Not to be a hipster, but it's such a common jacket choice that I'm kinda' bored with it. I knew I wanted something a bit more interesting, but again, I've repeatedly read and heard that doublets are only for formalwear. And while it's no secret that I'm rather antiauthoritarian when it comes to matters of fashion, I don't wish to come across as a total fop either.

So with my apprehension rapidly fading after reading EdinSteve's post, I can now be torn between a Sherrifmuir or a Balmoral, barathea or arrochar...and of course, whether to keep the Argyll for when a doublet would be bit too eccentric (e.g. funerals), or to get a Wallace jacket that purpose and retire the Argyll altogether.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this same question when I bought my Sheriffmuir last year. With the help a few on XMS, I now wear a collarless shirt, and either jabot or highland cravat with a pin. It works for me.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to KiltedSergeant For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -----------

There are no longer the rules that defined how you should dress and it is an individual’s choice what they should wear. And be in no doubt that these so-called highland dress conventions do not exist apart from in the (closed) minds of a few dinosaurs for whom change is regarded as a threat, not an opportunity.
    I am afraid that I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you Steve. Perhaps in Edinburgh, where kilt attire conventions have been adjusted for decades and if that is anyone's preference then, so be it.

However, quite a number of us out in the sticks , some of them quite young "dinosaurs" and , I might add, are more than capable of making up their own minds on these matters, still choose to conform to earlier kilt dress conventions and these conventions still very much exist today. Its a matter of choice, which is the right of each and every one of us.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 1st March 19 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added an afterthought.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

16. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast