X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    .....I am not sure why attitudes changed but change they did, but the problem was that there was little kilt attire knowledge available to guide the new kilt wearers----much like the rest of the world now with their questions and advice on this website -----so assumptions were made, often based on guesswork and hearsay and those resulted in different choices being made and perpetuated. For example pirate/jacobite shirts being thought of as traditional, black bow ties, white hose and PC's/sherriffmuirs/montrose jackets/etc., being regarded as suitable, correct even, formal day attire. Added to which of course, the kilt hire shops mushroomed to fulfil the need. Sadly the assorted advice given by the unknowing has perpetuated the differences of opinion of styles and suitability of kilt attire for any given event, between the Highland kilt wearers and those of the rest of Scotland......
    Jock, I receive the e-mails from Visit Scotland (formerly Scottish Tourist Board). The link, below, is to their Burns Night Guide. Note the shirt illustrated. To myself, this substantiates your post.

https://ebooks.visitscotland.com/bur...3-00155d32386f
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Baeau For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baeau View Post
    Jock, I receive the e-mails from Visit Scotland (formerly Scottish Tourist Board). The link, below, is to their Burns Night Guide. Note the shirt illustrated. To myself, this substantiates your post.

To me... just sad.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deite being the Scottish tourist board isVisit Scotland really an authority?...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    ...Despite being the Scottish tourist board isVisit Scotland really an authority?...
    I assumed they might / would be. Until early January, when I dug through the inbox.
    Last edited by Baeau; 17th March 19 at 02:56 PM.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Baeau For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assumed they might / would be. Until early January, when I dug through the inbox.
    Thank you. You make my point perfectly.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    It seems that Visit Scotland are promulgating a similar view to that I expressed earlier. So who is right I wonder?
    I assume they are a Government department, so there you go.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    I think they are a QUANGO so even less accountable than any elected representatives.
    You miss my point. Government bureaucrats... the unelected who often, as the thought goes, could not make a go of it in the public sector. I'm not suggesting they can be held accountable, I'm suggesting the information they provide is not always up to snuff.

Frank
    Murdoch Maclean

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What on earth is a "Quango" anyway? Is it another of these acronyms designed to communicate secretively between members of the cogniscati?
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    What on earth is a "Quango" anyway? Is it another of these acronyms designed to communicate secretively between members of the cogniscati?
    a semipublic administrative body outside the civil service but receiving financial support from the government, which makes senior appointments to it.
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Logan View Post
    a semipublic administrative body outside the civil service but receiving financial support from the government, which makes senior appointments to it.
    Helpful. Do you know what it stands for? Is it indeed an acronym?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast