X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCathmhaoil View Post
    Rather than comment on this outfit I think I’ll pour myself a scotch and sit to wait in a comfortable chair, Jock should be along shortly.......
    Sorry to keep you waiting!

Great story, great music, lovely film and by all accounts, a great show, but as an example of traditional kilt attire in that picture, it is not in the least bit great. It’s a shame that the kilt is not even being worn properly, even though the actor is using artistic licence with his attire.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 21st April 19 at 02:39 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    I am not sure that Scott Ainslie would be a paragon of traditional kilt wearing, especially as Gordon Nicolson kiltmakers seem to have chosen his attire. It does show, however, that wearing a jacobite shirt with a Sheriffmuir doublet is not quite as unheard of as has been opined here previously. Whether or not this outfit accords with everyone’s individual taste is beside the point, however, the fact that it is an acceptable choice for Scott Ainslie simply reflects his own particular choice, something he is perfectly entitled to.
    That was exactly the reason I posted the photo, it is the first time I can recall seeing something like this in the wild so to speak. While it may not be my preferred style I cannot deny that some do find this appropriate.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    I am not sure that Scott Ainslie would be a paragon of traditional kilt wearing, especially as Gordon Nicolson kiltmakers seem to have chosen his attire. It does show, however, that wearing a jacobite shirt with a Sheriffmuir doublet is not quite as unheard of as has been opined here previously. Whether or not this outfit accords with everyone’s individual taste is beside the point, however, the fact that it is an acceptable choice for Scott Ainslie simply reflects his own particular choice, something he is perfectly entitled to.
    That doesn't quite look like a Sheriffmuir doublet, though, more like someone just added sleeves to a chieftain's vest. So I suppose that makes the Jacobite shirt rather appropriate, since I honestly can't imagine a chieftain's vest with anything but a Jacobite shirt. The only thing I can see lamenting is the mistaken belief that such garments are traditional, as opposed to a romanticized homage to historical styles. But if someone who's aware of this wears them anyway because they like the look, then I agree, more power to 'em.

I suppose it's worth mentioning that I saw a video today from some random YouTuber on how to put on a kilt outfit, and he paired a Jacobite shirt with a Prince Charlie jacket and waistcoat. Yes, that made me cringe just a teensy bit...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567