X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Have Two Tweeds Now

First, I bought a 44R tweed jacket and waistcoat from a member here and it's awesome (chest fits well, a little tight in the belly, seeing if I can have it tailored just an inch or so). But I also like blue and brown tweeds. I've been trolling eBay for some time and couldn't find anything in my size. Then this afternoon it dawned on me: How many people in the 'states (eBay.com) sell used kilt jackets? So I tried eBay.co.uk. Bingo. Tons of jackets there in my size! So even with shipping and currency conversion rates, I found great deals. I decided on this one as the one I'm likely to wear for more informal events: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132966105946.

2. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to imbrius For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is where I always start my search. Well done with the jackets.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!

I've managed to pick up a couple of nice jackets from eBay with a little patience. Some great deals to be had but it can be slightly addictive looking for another great deal

Shane

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to gsmacleod For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, you've discovered the secret! All 7 of my vintage kilt jackets came from eBay sellers in the UK. Sometimes UK items show up on ebay.com, and sometimes they only show up if you use the .co.uk site. I don't know how it all works, but I do know that the "good stuff" is best found over there!

The only caveat with using the .co.uk site is that some sellers won't ship to the US.

8. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's where all the jackets I wear came from too, Ebay sellers in the UK.

I have found that I have to read the fine print, because many EbayUK sellers don't ship outwith the UK (or in some cases won't ship outwith the EU).

With sealskin sporrans a US seller is a must because sealskin cannot be legally shipped into the US.

Similarly with wooden bagpipes, chanters, and bagpipe parts most of the woods used are banned by worldwide treaty from being shipped across any national borders unless accompanied by expensive and complex paperwork (CITES) so I only consider US sellers.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    That's where all the jackets I wear came from too, Ebay sellers in the UK.

I have found that I have to read the fine print, because many EbayUK sellers don't ship outwith the UK (or in some cases won't ship outwith the EU).

With sealskin sporrans a US seller is a must because sealskin cannot be legally shipped into the US.

Similarly with wooden bagpipes, chanters, and bagpipe parts most of the woods used are banned by worldwide treaty from being shipped across any national borders unless accompanied by expensive and complex paperwork (CITES) so I only consider US sellers.
    All things I knew but good reminders nonetheless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One trick I've found in searching eBay for vintage/used goods is to use the "Auction" and "Accepts Offers" filters at the top of the search results page. Most companies/people selling new products are listing them for sale, not for auction, so that usually narrows it down pretty quickly. Of course, the auction filter will usually exclude ex-rental gear as they generally have enough of a single item in various sizes and have a set amount they want to get for it.
    Last edited by TheGratefulNed; 11th March 19 at 09:49 PM. Reason: typo
    Verbing weirds language.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imbrius View Post
    First, I bought a 44R tweed jacket and waistcoat from a member here and it's awesome (chest fits well, a little tight in the belly, seeing if I can have it tailored just an inch or so). But I also like blue and brown tweeds. I've been trolling eBay for some time and couldn't find anything in my size. Then this afternoon it dawned on me: How many people in the 'states (eBay.com) sell used kilt jackets? So I tried eBay.co.uk. Bingo. Tons of jackets there in my size! So even with shipping and currency conversion rates, I found great deals. I decided on this one as the one I'm likely to wear for more informal events: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132966105946.
    I have found good success with the US eBay but setting the ITEM LOCATION in the search settings to WORLDWIDE helps a bunch.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post: