X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Biography of DW Stewart, author of 'Old and Rare Scottish Tartans' (1893)

I am searching for a biography of DW Stewart (father of DC Stewart (Scotland's Forged Tartans) who wrote 'Old and Rare Scottish Tartan's' (1893).
    I read a bio a few months ago but just cannot find it again either online or in my collection of books.
    What I recall is that DW Stewart worked for a tartan producer in Scotland and after his book was published his business went badly. I recall that he left his wife and children or his wife left him and he subsequently emigrated to Australia. So I am keen as an Australian to try and track down what happened to him once he came here and whether there's any descendants or evidence of him still around. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Stewart of Galloway; 3rd March 19 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Typo

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you looking for The First Highlander: Major General David Stewart of Garth 1868-1829? James Irvine Robertson. Tuckwell Press 1998

Welcome to XMarks, from Inverness-shire and British Columbia.
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 3rd March 19 at 06:25 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrific! Thanks!

Many thanks I will definitely get this book as I'm very interested in David Stewart and coincidentally my name is also David Stewart haha
    The Stewart I'm after unfortunately is Donald Stewart and I think he died in the early 1900's so this is a different guy but I greatly appreciate you going to the trouble of giving me this tip. Cheers from Australia

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry, David. I have a first edition of DW Stewart's 'Old and Rare..." but have little or no biographical information on him. You have, however, stirred a research interest and, if this develops anything, I'll certainly let you know in this thread or by PM. Perhaps figheadair can contribute regarding the writings of all these various tartan-interested Stewarts, but I think you might just be back to pure genealogical searching and discovery. Best wishes to you -- please keep us abreast of your efforts.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ThistleDown For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    I'm sorry, David. I have a first edition of DW Stewart's 'Old and Rare..." but have little or no biographical information on him. You have, however, stirred a research interest and, if this develops anything, I'll certainly let you know in this thread or by PM. Perhaps figheadair can contribute regarding the writings of all these various tartan-interested Stewarts, but I think you might just be back to pure genealogical searching and discovery. Best wishes to you -- please keep us abreast of your efforts.
    David and I have been corresponding on this via the STA. As I said through that forum, I'm not aware of 'DW' having moved to Australia but then again, there seems to be little information available about him.

As an aside, I did have the pleasure of meeting his son 'DC', he of the Setts of the Scottish Tartans, in my youth.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Peter

Thanks Peter, I just dropped you a line per email.
    What a terrific thing to meet DC Stewart. I wonder if he kept in contact with his father?
    Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    David and I have been corresponding on this via the STA. As I said through that forum, I'm not aware of 'DW' having moved to Australia but then again, there seems to be little information available about him.

As an aside, I did have the pleasure of meeting his son 'DC', he of the Setts of the Scottish Tartans, in my youth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since David Stuart of Garth was mentioned, you might be interested in these transcriptions of his letters. They are very revealing of life in Scotland in the early 1800s.
    http://jamesirvinerobertson.co.uk/Da...espondence.pdf

Alan

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting news regarding D W Stewart.

Sorry I haven't posted to this thread for a wee while.
    I feel 99% certain that I read the biography of D.W.Stewart (author of 'Old and Rare Tartans' 1893) on the STA website and feel sure that I will be able to reaccess that original article soon enough.
    What really struck me, when I read that article about either DW or his famous son DC Stewart, was that the author stated that Donald William Stewart migrated to Australia after his life went a bit sideways in Scotland.
    So as an Australian I of course thought "Maybe I can track the man down in records here".
    I found this website (below) and I feel that this DW Stewart could well be our man.
    There were only two other DW Stewart's registered as having graves here and both were too young to have written Old and Rare.
    So now I am going to attempt to dig up more info on this gentleman.
    Given that Western Australia was our very own Wild West I need some luck
    https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...illiam-stewart

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart of Galloway View Post
    I feel 99% certain that I read the biography of D.W.Stewart (author of 'Old and Rare Tartans' 1893) on the STA website and feel sure that I will be able to reaccess that original article soon enough.
    What really struck me, when I read that article about either DW or his famous son DC Stewart, was that the author stated that Donald William Stewart migrated to Australia after his life went a bit sideways in Scotland.
    So as an Australian I of course thought "Maybe I can track the man down in records here".
    I found this website (below) and I feel that this DW Stewart could well be our man.
    There were only two other DW Stewart's registered as having graves here and both were too young to have written Old and Rare.
    Dave, it would be fantastic if you could close the circle on DW. That would be one more piece of the jig-saw sorted.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart of Galloway View Post
    The entry on this site for Donald William Stewart includes his age, which was 35 years: http://www.outbackfamilyhistory.com....?record_id=884
    Last edited by Bruce Scott; 26th April 19 at 03:24 PM.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast