X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Peter

It's an interesting mystery and getting more interesting Peter!
    see below my reply to Bruce Scott.
    I dont know if it would help much but if you had someone there who could access your websites main files on the server ( the back end of the website) the article I am after might just be named 'stewart' or 'dwstewart' .html or .xhtml or something of that nature.
    Might be a clue there. All I recall is that DW's business failed and I think he broke up with his wife and left the family and went to Australia. Looks like he might have had a son here! Could be totally wrong but...
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Dave, it would be fantastic if you could close the circle on DW. That would be one more piece of the jig-saw sorted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great find Bruce!

Well spotted and great find Bruce. So Donald William couldnt be our man as he was too young however the Donald Stewart (61 yrs) on the line above appears to be buried in the plot right beside him! (Grave No 933 and 932). Father and son perhaps?
    This Donald would have been early 40's when Old and Rare was published and maybe (just maybe) the poor lad buried beside him was his lad born in W.A? The father dying two years later sounds like death by broken heart to me.
    Tough life there back then.
    All conjecture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DW Stewart.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	36775
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    The entry on this site for Donald William Stewart includes his age, which was 35 years: http://www.outbackfamilyhistory.com....?record_id=884
    Last edited by Stewart of Galloway; 26th April 19 at 07:06 PM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Stewart of Galloway For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be worthwhile trying a search on one one the online genealogy sites such as this: https://www.myheritage.com/search-re...ae8656c755df1a

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again Bruce

I have a relative in W.A who is a geneologist/ family historian so have just written to him for tips. He might be able to actually go to the site (or not, I think Coolgardie's about 500km out in the outback from Perth).
    Anyhow thanks for you thoughts and would be pleased to get any more info or ideas you might find. Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Scott View Post
    It may be worthwhile trying a search on one one the online genealogy sites such as this: https://www.myheritage.com/search-re...ae8656c755df1a

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Further possible info re DW Stewart

My 3rd cousin Peter from Western Australia wrote this to me today regarding the place where DW Stewart may have lived and died after leaving Bonny Scotland -
    'Coolgardie was and still is the wild west and only a short distance from Kalgoorlie. Both being the richest pieces of real estate during the height of the Gold Rush and still actively producing Gold to this day, so there is your first clue. Given the location your man (or men) were either prospecting for gold or providing services to the gold miners.
    Original Death Certificates would be your most logical source of additional information, but not always, because in many cases people went to those places because not only were they seeking their fortune but because they may have been running away from something, and the Goldfields afforded them some form of anonymity. A bit like joining the French Foreign Legion so to speak'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12