X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ordering direct from Thistle Shoes Scotland

I have big feet, size 14M US or better yet 14W US. With certain shoes 15 US fits better than 14 US.

I've been wanting a pair of brown Ghillie Brogues since the first time I saw somebody wearing them (around 1977) and I finally decided to buy some.

I've looked all over and there just aren't any 14 UK brown ghillies available (they're made, just not available).

The closest would be 13W UK, and nobody stocks them. I did find 13W UK listed on the Thistle Shoes Scotland site.

https://thistleshoes.com/ghillies/

and they have a checkout, selling direct to the public, so I just now ordered some.

Shipping to the US is reasonable, and happens to be the same as the VAT so in effect I'm getting free shipping.

Now the waiting begins! And the hoping that 13W UK will fit my big hillbilly feet.

It's interesting that the leather-colour that Thistle Shoes has chosen is more of a tan, not a brown or russet, and similar to the colour seen in the mid-19th century

Last edited by OC Richard; 4th March 19 at 04:48 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    .......Shipping to the US is reasonable, and happens to be the same as the VAT so in effect I'm getting free shipping. ......
    OC Richard is correct. I've dealt with UK vendors, for years. Everything from several hundred thousand £ airfreight shipments, to padded mailers. I've learned that many get 'messed up' between the £ to $ exchange, & VAT. Also, the myth that shipping needs to be expensive. For small items, ask your vendor if the item(s) can be sent via Royal Mail (in a padded mailer). Reducing shipping cost, without greatly effecting the delivery time. If memory is correct, shipments from the UK, under $750-$800 US, come in duty free. For the past few months, I've been getting bits & bobs for the aging Range Rover's resurrection. The most expensive order was about $350 US, no duties/tarriff. Not even any hidden charges from DHL, my vendors shipper (not an endorsement, advert, or suggestion of using their service).
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always apprehensive when ordering from the UK because

1) many sites don't mention shipping charges other than saying they will be "calculated during checkout". You have to nearly complete the checkout process (give them your credit card information etc) before you find out what post to the US is.

2) some UK sites charge outrageous shipping fees. They can be several times what the item itself costs. The goal in these cases seems to be to discourage overseas sales. (I have a fair notion what the actual cost will be due to many purchases from the UK over the years.)
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lately I’ve ordered a few things from House of Bruar in Scotland and they have a flat £14.95 shipping fee. I usually wait until I have a couple of items before I order. Prices drop about 20% when they deduct the V.A.T. as well.
    The other thing to be very aware of is how the item is shipped. If by mail there may or may not be duty charged. When it is shipped by courier, FedEx etc. they always add a brokerage or customs fee on top of any duty or taxes. That gets a bit pricey!
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I hate it when they do the brokerage thing.

BTW the service at Thistle Shoes was amazing! The day after I ordered the Ghillies I got notice they were shipped and an email from their customer service department just following up.

We shall see when the shoes arrive if all is well (the right size, the Wide width, the right colour).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Oh I hate it when they do the brokerage thing.

BTW the service at Thistle Shoes was amazing! The day after I ordered the Ghillies I got notice they were shipped and an email from their customer service department just following up.

We shall see when the shoes arrive if all is well (the right size, the Wide width, the right colour).
    I have those shoes in a traditional "wing tip" style. I have been very happy with them. My ghillies have not seen the light of day in years. These have been my casual go to since. For formal do's I use buckle brogues.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brown ghillie brogues from Thistle Shoes Scotland arrived and they're just a tad too small.

The shoes are stamped "13" and the box says "13 Wide Fit". It's the largest size Thistle offers brown ghillies in.

I looked at various sizing charts and they differ. Some give 13UK as being equivalent to 14US.

That was the case with the Jamie Alexander ghillie brogues I recently bought: they're stamped "13" and fit like my various size 14 shoes. In fact the Jamie Alexander are a bit generous, fitting much like one pair of athletic shoes I have that are labelled 14W.

But other sizing charts give 13UK as being equivalent to 13.5US and that's how these Thistle Shoes ghillie brogues fit, actually like 13.5 medium width, not wide.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 16th March 19 at 05:04 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The irony is Scots have WIDE feet yet can't find them in wide sizes?????

Someday a shoemaker will wise up and make some money.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard, & all....

I went back & looked at the invoice for my Tweed Argylle jacket I received a couple of weeks back. Look close at ebay sellers, & see if they are part of / use the 'Global Shipping Program".

https://pages.ebay.com/buy/globalshippingprogram/

Not that all are part of it. But, worth knowing about.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"