X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it depends on what the nature of the transgression and how glaring it is and what the long term consequences are....

Kilt on backwards, too long, definitely...

Risk of damage from a kiltpin... Definitely

Basting stitches...yes...

Medals on wrong breast...warrents a question as to whether the are theirs to save someone else being far less diplomatic....

Connery flashes...maybe...but probably not unless it's perfectly glaring and you happen to be in a conversation with the person...perhaps just make your own more apparent by adjusting slightly when passing...

Kilt gaps at top with shirt exposure underwaistcoat...probably not unless related to it being worn too low and long..it may be a sensitive factor related to the individual's weight gain..

Sporran at side...are they a drummer?...

Ghilliebrogue laces too high...sporran slippage...get a life, is it any more different than oversized and mask sporrans, or tall bonnets, all of which were a mockery of highland dress at their inception but which are now perfectly accepted?...or wearing a waistcoat button undone?...

Let's not get onto the conversation about Belts with waistcoats...I wear one all the time and it looks fine on me and if some smart alec came up and told me I shouldn't then I would point out originally every highlander had to wear a belt with the waistcoat and jacket or else their plaid wouldn't stay together.

Anyone ever consider some may transgress minor rules fully in the knoekedge and as a development of a personal style...and maybe even to put down a smart alec who wanders up thinking they are better informed and entitled to correct another's dress style...

That said I think those who supply highlandwear whether for hire or purchase could maybe provide some instructions as to guide wearers who don't have family knowledge or experience.mor else said individuals will resort to google...
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 14th March 19 at 05:33 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    Ghilliebrogue laces too high...sporran slippage...get a life, is it any more different than oversized and mask sporrans, or tall bonnets, all of which were a mockery of highland dress at their inception but which are now perfectly accepted?...or wearing a waistcoat button undone?...
    Wait ... are you saying full mask sporrans were originally a mockery of Highland dress? Where did you get that idea?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Wait ... are you saying full mask sporrans were originally a mockery of Highland dress? Where did you get that idea?
    By looking at illustrations of 18thc highland costume, then at the evolution of the highland dress in the 19thc and having read a quote in John Prebbles well researched books where the phrase mockery of highland dress was used with regard to a laird who dressed like a peacock in his romantic ideas of what a highlander wore whilst exploiting his people and turfing them off the land. The phrase wasn't Prebbles, he was quoting a contemporary source. And I'm inclined to agree with them...

Mask sporrans are a 19thC post revival thing not a true 18thc pre proscription feature...

You may have misinterpretted the context of mockery...not saying it was a deliberate parody, just that it's so extreme and contrived and romanticised as to make a mockery of the attire of a pre proscription Highlander...

Seems to be lo g enough established that it is an accepted part of Highland attire now though..and I guess if people start lacing their ghillies all the way to the knees then it will become 'proper attire' in due vourse...

Personally I don't wear ghillies, I think they're contrived and bear no resemblance to the original item. And seeing as we aim to look well dressed then let's reflect a well dresses Highlander wouldn't be wearing Curranes, he'd be able to afford and have proper shoes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    I'm feeling too lazy to look this up and figure this out.

What does "Sean Connery style" entail for flashes.
    I found it a photo with Sean Connery wearing his flashes on the inseam of his hose so the flashes in between his legs not on the outside of his legs. Guessing that is it?
    Last edited by pofloyd1; 14th March 19 at 08:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you handled it with quiet dignity and grace.
    I would not have offered the advice out of nowhere, but like you, would have mentioned the kilt pin when the conversation turned to kilt wearing.
    Good job referring him to this site also.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123