X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlemalt View Post
    I think it is possible to be helpful without insulting the other fellow. I would never say "you are wearing it wrong and let me tell you how to do it right". However I think I would be comfortable saying. "nice kilt, looks great on you. I have found mine hangs better with the pin just through the top apron".

Anyone offended by this type of approach I don't need to know anyway.
    I was at the biggest, well known, and most high-end Burns Dinner, in my city, and there was a fellow there with his kilt on backwards. Lots of 'importaint' people go to this dinner, it's quite a place, if you're looking to network.

There is a bar on the bottom floor of the hotel where the dinner takes place, and most stop in for a couple before the reception. I seen him come in with four or five others, and they grabbed a table. After a bit, he went to the bar, so I went up and told him his kilt was on backwards. He said thanks, went to the washroom and fixed himself. When it was time to head up stairs, he said thanks again.

He was with people, not strangers.. they said nothing to him. I would hate to have been him, knowing that he would have embarrassed himself all evening long. Considering how this dinner is the top drawer event in the region, that could have cost him, depending on his goals for the evening.

You never have to be rude, you always have to pick you moment, but I feel it's best to help.

We all judge. You can say out loud that you don't, but there may be some who feel they don't like my opinion. Judgement. They may chose not to type it out, judgement none the less. Judgement can also be positive. So if you see that guy who needs a hand, be polite, find the right moment, and help him out. Maybe you help save his job, his account with a client, his chance to join a club or fraternal organization.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Highland Logan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was brought up above reminds me of a situation I've found myself in several times:

I'm hired to pipe at a wedding. When I arrive I'm directed to the dressing room the Groomsmen and Best Man are using.

There I find all of these fellows trying to figure out how to put on their hired kilts and such. Being the only person in the room who has worn Highland Dress before, I give them pointers as to how everything is worn.

I've seen all the issues one could imagine: backwards kilts, kilts worn with one of the two front aprons going behind, Ghillie Brogue laces going all the way up, sporrans worn to the side, flashes worn Sean Connery style.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm feeling lazy

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    flashes worn Sean Connery style.
    I'm feeling too lazy to look this up and figure this out.

What does "Sean Connery style" entail for flashes.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what to do

Hi all,
    Highland Logan I agree with you in helping someone out being ex army we were always checking each other over making sure we were dressed right and helping with kit it's called buddy buddy system. Tobus the guy came over to me to talk we had very cordial conversation to which he stated it was only his second time in wearing highland dress, he was very appreciative when I explained the damage that could have happened and he bought me a beer, but I do understand where your coming from.
    Dirk95

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dirk95 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk95 View Post
    Hi all,
    Highland Logan I agree with you in helping someone out being ex army we were always checking each other over making sure we were dressed right and helping with kit it's called buddy buddy system. Tobus the guy came over to me to talk we had very cordial conversation to which he stated it was only his second time in wearing highland dress, he was very appreciative when I explained the damage that could have happened and he bought me a beer, but I do understand where your coming from.
    Dirk95
    At the end of the day... no one wants to look like, or be thought of as a bag of hammers.

Frank
    Drink to the fame of it -- The Tartan!
    Murdoch Maclean

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "sorry, old army habit. Noticed your organizational pin upside down / jacket tail caught in your waist band / road salt smear on your pants / decorations,medals a bit askew...." Kept light and conversational, those few times they are appreciative. No comments about what worn and not ever about right-wrong.
    The kilt pin incident sounds like it went well, and someone's self esteem and kilt all the better for it in the long run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    "sorry, old army habit. Noticed your organizational pin upside down / jacket tail caught in your waist band / road salt smear on your pants / decorations,medals a bit askew...." Kept light and conversational, those few times they are appreciative. No comments about what worn and not ever about right-wrong.
    The kilt pin incident sounds like it went well, and someone's self esteem and kilt all the better for it in the long run.
    Taskr, yes it did go down well they were a nice couple hopefully a new member to the gang. The other guy in the kilt was also ex army a trog nickname for RCT he was in a Stephenson not sure of the spelling we had a right good time winding each up transport and infantry as you ex military guys can imagine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basting stitches

I certainly appreciate when someone tells me that I might have gotten something wrong, especially if they do it nicely.

I was at my sister-in-laws wedding last year, not kilted unfortunately, and saw another quest who was. So, I went over and started to talk with him about his Black Watch tartan kilt. When I got there I noticed that he still had the basting stitches in it, and he didn't know what they were. He thought that was how it was made. I made a comment that mine didn't have them and I thought that they might be basting stitches and left it at that. No need to have him agree with me, a complete stranger, at that time. But, he was now informed and I left him to continue on in his kilted journey.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You handled it the way I have. Privately and with good intention.
    Commissioner of Clan Strachan, Central United States.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did once tell a chap that his kilt pin was undone and he was suitably gracious about it . Other than that, I tend to say nothing. To be honest most know how to wear the kilt in these parts.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th March 19 at 04:57 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast