X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I am in the minority here.

I don't prepare cute or funny responses to questions. And I try not to offer stock or pre-planned answers.

I try to remember that it is just people. A guy in a kilt is usually pretty easy to try to strike up a conversation with, unlike some other visible minorities where you may not be certain how to start off a conversation.

So I listen to the question. Sometimes they are just asking anything, just to start a conversation. Maybe they have heard the myth and use that that is the only 'in' that they know, to open a conversation with a guy in a kilt.

Sometimes they just want to talk.

So the first thing I try to do is smile. Then I answer as honestly and openly as I can. One way to have a conversation with someone is to share stories. This is why you so often get to hear about someone's great granny who came from somewhere in Scotland.

Sometimes they ask one question, to lead into another question. Sometimes they see anyone in a kilt as an expert and have a valid question about Tartan, or Scotland, Bagpipes, or heck, about anything having to do with a kilt.

I am one of those who is not only male but has a mild case of Asperger's Syndrome. Not only am I pre-disposed by gender not to be verbal, but it is harder for me, than the average guy, to see faces. So I have a harder time putting a name to a face.

So I relish any excuse to talk to people when they ask about my kilt.

The only time I have ever run into a problem was in Scotland where I am automatically branded as an "Ugly American" tourist. It was good that I am a kiltmaker as it opened the door when otherwise the locals would not talk to me or just snicker behind their hands.

I find that if I walk down the street in jeans I am just another old guy. No one will even make eye contact with me.
    But in a kilt everyone smiles and even teenagers will usually respond if I say "Good Day". I find the kilt a great ice breaker.

People just want to talk to other people. But many conversations never take place because there is no common ground. No way to open a conversation. This is why people who share a common interest, like in a club, that conversation flows almost naturally.

The kilt can make a guy approachable and, unless he is uber-macho, safe and easy to open a conversation with.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here we go again...or so I thought.

Being a professional workplace trainer I get the opportunity to fly around Australia quite a bit. I recently flew from Adelaide to Melbourne in cold weather, it was a Friday evening and I was kilted.

I boarded the plane and sat in seat 2A, a elderly gentleman sat next to me and muttered to himself which I so happened to overhear "bloody hell".

I thought, here we go again.... We were quiet for a long period of time, I was exhausted having presented the whole day so really didn't want to talk so I didn't.

The urge for him was too great and after 20 minutes in the air he said, 'you look spectacular'. We chatted the rest of the way. Him reminiscing about the 'good ol' days' and me obliging and having felt guilty for not talking to him sooner.

My thoughts: shame on me for automatically thinking he was negative and the whole time all he wanted to do was live the dream. My perspective of myself has since been altered...in a positive light.
    South African military veteran. Great grandson of Captain William Henry Stevenson of the Highland Light Infantry, Scotland (1880's) and brother to Infantryman Peter Mark Schumann of the 2nd Transvaal Scottish, South Africa (1980's).

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Garth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    Here we go again...or so I thought.

Being a professional workplace trainer I get the opportunity to fly around Australia quite a bit. I recently flew from Adelaide to Melbourne in cold weather, it was a Friday evening and I was kilted.

I boarded the plane and sat in seat 2A, a elderly gentleman sat next to me and muttered to himself which I so happened to overhear "bloody hell".

I thought, here we go again.... We were quiet for a long period of time, I was exhausted having presented the whole day so really didn't want to talk so I didn't.

The urge for him was too great and after 20 minutes in the air he said, 'you look spectacular'. We chatted the rest of the way. Him reminiscing about the 'good ol' days' and me obliging and having felt guilty for not talking to him sooner.

My thoughts: shame on me for automatically thinking he was negative and the whole time all he wanted to do was live the dream. My perspective of myself has since been altered...in a positive light.
    Great story. Thank you.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Grouch Marx

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234