X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frequent questions ... favorite answers

I got my first kilt for Christmas, and my second kilt about a month ago. But I've worn my kilts about 8 times during that 2 1/2 month period. Based on that limited period, I've already started to notice the questions that I'm most frequently asked ... and my favorite answers to said questions.

Starting with the most frequent questions....

Question: Why are you wearing a kilt?
    Answer: I'm fairly certain I'd get arrested if I took it off.

Question: Are you Scottish?
    Answer: Nope. Korean.
    (Note -- I look about 100% Anglo-Saxon. I have a couple other things mixed in ... but none of them are Korean. For those who have heard Bill Engvall's comedy ... I should probably add the unspoken "Here's your sign!")

Question: What are you wearing under your kilt?
    Answer: Lipstick.

.... So, any other favorite answers to the questions you get asked on a regular basis?
    Trying to look good on a budget.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Karl R For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As more folks in the relatively small town I live in (110K residents in the county) see me kilted, the questions have narrowed to, "what tartan is that" leading to a conversation of their own Scottish family connection.

Only during the busy and festive atmosphere of football game day at the local university do I get a variety of "other" inquires. Those questions come from people that view me as some sort of entertainment. "Where's your bagpipes", "Aren't you chilly under that skirt", "How do you get into that 1930 Model A Ford wearing a kilt". I do put myself into that environment to draw attention and can deal with the public.

I have been uncomfortably confronted twice during the 30 times, among the 100 of thousands of fans that passed by or stopped to chat, at the football games. I have even dealt with Texas fans from College Station unscathed.

The rest of the year, I am just a person with a different style that doesn't alarm or threaten the crowd or status quo. I've learned that courtesy, humor, and patience wins the day when approached by others. As I have improved the quality of my attire the level of admiration has increased. I hope this may lead to others dressing better.

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I have been uncomfortably confronted twice during the 30 times, among the 100 of thousands of fans that passed by or stopped to chat, at the football games. I have even dealt with Texas fans from College Station unscathed.
    Oy! A shot at my fellow Aggies this early in the morning?

(I do sincerely apologise if any of them behaved poorly.)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    Oy! A shot at my fellow Aggies this early in the morning?
    (I do sincerely apologise if any of them behaved poorly.)
    Never a problem with the kind folks from Texas (any of the schools that visit). Felt the urge to poke fun.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 6th March 19 at 06:08 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crux of the Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    The rest of the year, I am just a person with a different style that doesn't alarm or threaten the crowd or status quo. I've learned that courtesy, humor, and patience wins the day when approached by others. As I have improved the quality of my attire the level of admiration has increased. I hope this may lead to others dressing better.
    These sentences say much and are worth even more.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    I can understand people’s curiosity tiwards someone wearing a kilt in Texas but the only question I have ever been asked here in Scotland is “What tartan is that?”
    Yes thats the usual question, quite often followed by, "can I take a picture of you?"
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much the same two questions I get on this side of the pond. Good for my ego since no one, absolutely no one, would normally consider me photogenic in any way.

Holcombe

Inverness-shire, Scotland & British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Yes thats the usual question, quite often followed by, "can I take a picture of you?"
    A small group of small tourists once asked me, "Are you Lob Loy?" Then they set up a tripod.... Another instance: I'm shopping for a birthday present and two young women, with cameras at the ready, asked, "Are you somebody we should know?"
    Last edited by ThistleDown; 6th March 19 at 10:53 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThistleDown View Post
    A small group of small tourists once asked me, "Are you Lob Loy?" Then they set up a tripod.... Another instance: I'm shopping for a birthday present and two young women, with cameras at the ready, asked, "Are you somebody we should know?"
    If only I had a £1 for every picture that has been taken of me and the kilt by visitors over the years!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I know Rex. Those questions -"Are you somebody we should know?" can be a bit embarrassing sometimes.

When your a famous kiltwearer like me even movie stars come up to you on the street and want to get their picture with you.

Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

15. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast