X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Victoria, BC Canada 48į 25' 47.31"N 123į 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John,

May I ask please - What style of kilt would you like to make?
    What fabric would you like to make your kilt from?
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    John,

May I ask please - What style of kilt would you like to make?
    What fabric would you like to make your kilt from?
    The first one I build will be 16oz wool. But I do plan on using Marton Mills PV as well.

Victoria, BC Canada 48į 25' 47.31"N 123į 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then may I suggest that you practice your hand stitching on the same fabric that you will be using for your kilt. Denim is not a very good fabric for kilts. It is tough to stitch through. Good quality kilt fabrics are a dream to sew by hand. Using the same fabric to practice is by far the best advice anyone can give.

The Polyester/Rayon blends that are woven by Marton Mills are also a very nice fabrics, but are not usually used when making the Traditional style kilts that Barb teaches. These are usually thought of as fabrics used in the Contemporary course and are usually machine stitched.

If you do decide to attend the Contemporary course, "The Art of Kiltmaking" (TAoK) will give you the basics of kilt construction. In the Contemporary course we use "The Hand-Crafted Contemporary Kilt" as our text. All the students will receive a copy of THCCK when you arrive.

My first question above was "What style of kilt would you like to make?" This is a very important part of deciding which course is best for you. If you plan to hand stitch your kilt and the style is the Traditional that is in TAoK, then you will want to attend Barb's course.

If however you wish to stitch your kilt by machine, and plan on making a kilt in any other style than that in TAoK, then you want to sign up for the Contemporary course.

Do you wish to wear your kilt at any waist height other than the anatomical waist?
    Do you wish to use fabrics other than kilt wool?
    Do you wish to have a different apron width, different fastenings, or other styling features such as pockets, than that given in TAoK?

Then you want to tell Barb when you register, that you wish to take the Contemporary course.

Students can move freely between the two courses. They are just down the hall from each other. But the methods and the types of styling are quite different.

If you plan on machine stitching your kilt, you must bring your own machine to class.
    Last edited by Steve Ashton; 11th March 19 at 12:57 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve

Thank you. Thatís a lot to consider. But yes, my first kilt will be a traditional, natural waist build. But I can see that it is quite likely that my first kilt camp will be followed by a second, as I do also wish to learn the machine sewn, contemporary, PV kilt ... with pockets. I suspect that all of my kilts will be worn at the natural waist, as Iíve a nice pooch belly that doesnít want to leave, and I donít think Iíll much care for my kilt hanging under it ... that looks bad enough with jeans.

Again, thank you for your thoughts!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12