X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should you choose Jock's alternative route, and arrive at the Clachaig Inn on a Saturday or Sunday, there is live music.
    The Sunday nights are apparently an open jam, so bring or borrow an instrument and jump in.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also second Jock's suggestion of a slightly longer route through Glencoe, whichever direction your route is, (clockwise or anti-clockwise), there is also a campsite there.
    Last edited by tpa; 3rd April 19 at 07:20 AM.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Clachaig Inn
    Might have to give it a go - I'm taking a party of Estonian's around Scotland in June and July - Glen Coe is one of the stops, I may need some refreshment whilst they are hiking - or perhaps they can refuel afterwards (time permitting as we are staying in Invermoriston that evening so depends on what time they want to get there).

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To give you a rough time and distance between Glencoe and Invermorriston. Its about 50 perhaps a wee tad more, miles between the two and in normal traffic it should take just under one and a half hours. If the traffic is heavy, which it could be at that time of year, then it could take at least another half an hour on top. If you have time , you will pass the Commando Monument just outside Spean Bridge, its a rather nice place to stop for a few minutes and if the weather cooperates its probably the best place to see Ben Nevis, the UK's highest mountain.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 27th March 19 at 09:36 AM. Reason: found my glasses
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noticed you are travelling south from Ullapool through Gairloch, stop at the mountain coffee house , the coffee is outstanding and will give you a serious lift/high and the views across the sea are outstanding.

Its a a great little cafe and shop with tonnes of Himalayan related bric a brac and momentos, great way to kill half an hour before getting back on the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost ashamed to post this reply. Rather than renting the Hilux with rooftop tents we are considering a Caravan. I think they are perceived at vermin but it sure would be easier for us to live out of. I have heard that they are not allowed on some Islands but Mull is the only one we plan to stay on. We would look to stay in Caravan parks with hook ups but would probably 'wild' camp a few nights as well. My wife and I both are very experienced driving larger vehicles, my boat is larger than the Caravan we would use and I have towed it from Texas to Lake Superior several times. We both drive a manual gearbox daily and prefer them. The only problem is going to be some roads that are not suitable. We are both capable of backing such a vehicle and maneuvering onto a passing siding. I think we would wind up walking a lot once we get to destinations.

Jock, are we likely to be loathed by other motorists and pedestrians for adding to the congestion of August traffic with one of these rigs? https://www.motorhomeescapes.co.uk/harris-motorhome-hire-scotland/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    Almost ashamed to post this reply. Rather than renting the Hilux with rooftop tents we are considering a Caravan. I think they are perceived at vermin but it sure would be easier for us to live out of. I have heard that they are not allowed on some Islands but Mull is the only one we plan to stay on. We would look to stay in Caravan parks with hook ups but would probably 'wild' camp a few nights as well. My wife and I both are very experienced driving larger vehicles, my boat is larger than the Caravan we would use and I have towed it from Texas to Lake Superior several times. We both drive a manual gearbox daily and prefer them. The only problem is going to be some roads that are not suitable. We are both capable of backing such a vehicle and maneuvering onto a passing siding. I think we would wind up walking a lot once we get to destinations.

Jock, are we likely to be loathed by other motorists and pedestrians for adding to the congestion of August traffic with one of these rigs? https://www.motorhomeescapes.co.uk/harris-motorhome-hire-scotland/
    What you are proposing is a motorhome, not a caravan. Whilst I know that in the States and Canada they are called RV's (Road Vermin) in professional drivers slang, you will probably wind up in traffic queues behind caravans in August in any case.

Photo couresey of:Flickr Hive Mind, hiveminer.com.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To answer your last paragraph first. Yes you will be loathed by the locals and yes you will be adding to the congestion, but, you will be just one of many hundreds.........thousands?.........of such vehicles on our roads in August, so I would not worry about it. As an example, I happened to need to go to Skye last August and the roads were gridlocked in places. In one place I counted 27 caravans/motor homes in front of me. I have never seen anything like it! The fact is, the tourist industry has oversold Scotland and the inferstructure struggles(to put it bluntly, fails on occasion) to handle the volume of vehicles during the summer months in parts of the Highlands.

It seems that you will be using a motor home not a caravan. A caravan in the UK is the trailer thing towed behind a vehicle. I think if you have a large motor home then it would be wise to take the long route to Applecross. Even a small motor home could be difficult to manoeuvre on the short route to Applecross when the traffic is heavy in August and THAT WILL make you highly unpopular!

To give you an idea of the Highland roads, particularly the single track roads, there are many videos on the internet made by visitors of their trips made with these dashcam things.Google something like “ driving in the Highlands” Or “ doing the Nothern 500” or “driving North through Glencoe” or” taking the high road to Applecross” .

Just one more thing and I ask quite genuinely, do you really want to come in August?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 12th April 19 at 02:29 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock,

August because, Clan Dunbar's tour is July 22 to Aug 2. Figured we would tour on our own after the Clan tour so we can learn from others what to see, where to eat etc.

The motor home costs about 100 pounds less than the Hilux. The Hilux is set up to sleep 4 and the motor home 6. There are 5 of us. I dig the Hilux with the roof top tents but it would be more convenient to set up and break camp with the motor home. Looks like we might be dealing with gridlock traffic at times no matter which vehicle we get. Ways to mitigate the problem could be traveling off hours by leaving camp at 4 am. We could also leave the motor home at a base camp on the mainland and visit islands by public transport or Uber if possible. Mull-Iona and Skye are the only islands on radar and we are looking to see some of the islands by boat hire. We would skip the high road to Applecross.

Thanks for the advice.

David

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock,

August because, Clan Dunbar's tour is July 22 to Aug 2. Figured we would tour on our own after the Clan tour so we can learn from others what to see, where to eat etc.

The motor home costs about 100 pounds less than the Hilux. The Hilux is set up to sleep 4 and the motor home 6. There are 5 of us. I dig the Hilux with the roof top tents but it would be more convenient to set up and break camp with the motor home. Looks like we might be dealing with gridlock traffic at times no matter which vehicle we get. Ways to mitigate the problem could be traveling off hours by leaving camp at 4 am. We could also leave the motor home at a base camp on the mainland and visit islands by public transport or Uber if possible. Mull-Iona and Skye are the only islands on radar and we are looking to see some of the islands by boat hire. We would skip the high road to Applecross.

Thanks for the advice.

David
    Driving early and late will help with the traffic and in August the days are pretty long so you won't miss out on the views. Avoiding bottle necks and single track roads during local peak day traffic times(say 0630 to 0900 and 1630 to 1830) would help too. As would avoiding popular tourist spots at lunch time.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 12th April 19 at 08:25 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast