X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Freedom Kilts website Scotweb websiten Burnetts and Struth website The Scottish Trading Company
Xmarks advertising information Celtic Croft website Xmarks advertising information Celtic Corner website Xmarks advertising information

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    EdinSteve is offline Membership Suspended for repeated rule violations.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds very interesting, Dunbar, and in the absence of documentary evidence I am sure it will provide the next best thing when researching family history and give an indication as to possible connections. I assume that there is genetic material available from these remote ancestors to provide a DNA match to subsequent generations so that results can be applied to specific lines rather than a simple population generality. We had something similar recently when a connection was investigated between Russian remains and our present Royal family. It certainly sounds a useful tool as I can affirm from personal experience that, apart from a few aristocratic families who maintained such records, reliable evidence beyond the last 300 years or so is virtually impossible to obtain. Not only that but assumptions generally turn out to be incorrect if hard evidence subsequently becomes available. Good luck with your research and the guiding principle is assume nothing until the incontrovertible evidence is before you.

Saw this article on the subject which may be of interest - https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...gate-ancestry/ .
    Last edited by EdinSteve; 14th April 19 at 12:00 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have enough relatives, past and present, already. I really don’t feel the need to know any more!
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    I have enough relatives, past and present, already. I really don’t feel the need to know any more!
    Me too, Jock, but for many it is an intellectual exercise and a way of dispelling the many misconceptions that seem to creep into family stories. The main thing is to believe nothing until you have the evidence as it is only too easy to convince yourself that something is true just because you may wish it to be and then pass this on to future generations. And aren’t you amazed at how many have miraculously discovered their latent aristocratic roots?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a miracle ... just statistics

Quote Originally Posted by EdinSteve View Post
    And aren’t you amazed at how many have miraculously discovered their latent aristocratic roots?
    There isn't any miracle involved. It's just a matter of large numbers, statistical probabilities, and people focusing on the most famous/infamous/interesting ancestors.

Let's assume that there's about 3 or 4 generations per 100 years. If I were looking at my ancestors from the 1600s, there would be approximately 10 to 14 generations. If you look 10 generations back, I should have about 1,000 ancestors (2^10 = 1,024) depending on the amount of inbreeding in my family tree. If you look 14 generations back, I should have about 16,000 ancestors (2^14 = 16,384).

It's not that miraculous to think that 1 in 1,000 (or 10,000) people might be a bit noteworthy. If I were to look back another 200 years, I would be in the 16 to 22 generation range. So I might be looking at 65,000 to 4.2 million ancestors. So at the high end, you might be exceeding the combined populations of Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales. At that point, it's actually more miraculous to not be related to aristocracy.

Noteworthy ancestors:
    If I'm going to talk about some of my ancestors, whom would seem more interesting ... the generations of farmers and laborers whose lives were so unremarkable that their primary life events were births, deaths, marriages, childbirths, and baptisms? Or would you be more interested in my ancestors who were hung as witches ... whom have books, movies and miniseries (both fictional and non-fictional) written about them?
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    -----------

Noteworthy ancestors:
    If I'm going to talk about some of my ancestors, whom would seem more interesting ... the generations of farmers and laborers whose lives were so unremarkable that their primary life events were births, deaths, marriages, childbirths, and baptisms? Or would you be more interested in my ancestors who were hung as witches ... whom have books, movies and miniseries (both fictional and non-fictional) written about them?
    I say this with the utmost respect and make every effort not to sound rude or dismissive , but..................

Most people------not all---- in the UK and particularly in Scotland are not in the least bit interested in other people's ancestors and the topic of their own not so distant family, never mind in the dim and distant past, are rarely discussed even if they are aware of some of it and if it ever does, takes place around the kitchen table amongst the family. It just doesn't appear to hold the interest here that it seems to over there. To bring the thread somewhere near to back on topic, it is something visitors to the UK need to be aware of.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th April 19 at 07:13 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree, Jock, and, while genealogy is very much a minority interest in the UK, it seems to bring in lots of tourist $s from those anxious to create their very own bespoke ancestry. My take on it is that most families here in the UK have lived hereabouts for many generations and know perfectly well that they are not a distant scion of some noble family. “Over there”, however, most of the non-indigenous population can only trace their roots locally back a few generations and, in the absence of any noble or clan chieftains existing “over there” they have to look elsewhere, hence the mushrooming of interest in genealogical research “over here” where such individuals exist. And so we get back to the original subject of exploring one’s roots.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234