X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    -----------

Noteworthy ancestors:
    If I'm going to talk about some of my ancestors, whom would seem more interesting ... the generations of farmers and laborers whose lives were so unremarkable that their primary life events were births, deaths, marriages, childbirths, and baptisms? Or would you be more interested in my ancestors who were hung as witches ... whom have books, movies and miniseries (both fictional and non-fictional) written about them?
    I say this with the utmost respect and make every effort not to sound rude or dismissive , but..................

Most people------not all---- in the UK and particularly in Scotland are not in the least bit interested in other people's ancestors and the topic of their own not so distant family, never mind in the dim and distant past, are rarely discussed even if they are aware of some of it and if it ever does, takes place around the kitchen table amongst the family. It just doesn't appear to hold the interest here that it seems to over there. To bring the thread somewhere near to back on topic, it is something visitors to the UK need to be aware of.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 14th April 19 at 07:13 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to hear how the trip went. The highs, the lows, impressions etc..
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some suggested sites

David,

If time permits, strike South by SE from Oban into Kintail, Kintyre, and Cowal to see some of the most ancient sites in Scotland. This area abounds with standing stones, castle ruins, and wondrous scenery through places like Kilmartin Glen (the seat of the ancient Kingdom of Dalriada)...and time is never wasted in visiting the fabulous (and copious) distilleries of Islay, and the breathtaking scenery and rugged wilderness of Jura (where there are roughly 200 people and 7000 Red Deer)….and then there are the "Outers" of Lewis and Harris. It's ALL good!

Digger1

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234