X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fly Plaid Tattoo OK?

My late Grandma was McCausland and she was one of three sisters so effectively that family name line passed with her. We were close and I want to do something to honor her memory.

I want to do a fly plaid tattoo with the family tartan and brooch, looking to have it start on my left pec with a brooch and then go over my left shoulder and have it look like it was torn off on my left shoulder blade.

I've seen numerous tartan tattoos before and asked a couple of my friends who are from Scotland and everyone seems to think it's cool.

I just want to make sure I'm not committing some fau paux or massive offence I'm unaware of before I do something permanant.

Any cultural or other reason why I shouldn't go forward with this?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you are asking, personally I think tattoos are dreadful and are best avoided at all costs.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it if you personally want it. Just make sure that you go to an artist who is good at the style you are looking for. I would recommend someone who is good at photo realism tattooing as tartan can be tricky, as can the colours and fold of the cloth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Hirsty;1372872...Go for it if you personally want it. ....[/QUOTE]

If it's what you want, then it's your choice. Personally, I'm with Jock. I draw on paper. As you did ask, "or other reason", I've got one point. With a spouse that's been a back office Medical Assistant (for 38-39 years), she's seen & heard much. Tattoos are an interesting subject. As the body ages, skin looses elasticity. Size changes from weight gain, weight loss. Then, there are issues due to stretch marks, et cetera. Tattoos may not look so good down the road.

Add in: As per US HIPPA privacy reg's, she has never (no joke, here), offered patient names, or what the tattoos were. Only condition / look of artwork.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, thanks for the input guys, but I already have a few tattoos and up here in the Northwest I think we're at the point where more people have em than don't.

I guess the question really is just cultural, I don't want to be in a pub in Scotland 15 years from now having a pint and find out that there's some unspoken rule about not doing something like this.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it helps you, I don't think that there is anything to say that you cant do it, if that is what you want.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 12th March 19 at 12:28 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no taboo about tattoos in Scotland.

It is more socially acceptable than it was a decade or two before. The above comments do reflect, perhaps, a generational difference.

The only issues would be if your tattoo was political, prejudicial, religious, certain sports teams, or sexual. Personally, I avoid anywhere that you cannot cover up - the face, hands, lower arms, lower legs, etc. Thus you can show your tattoos if you want to, but no-one would know they are there otherwise. Your plaid idea would easily be covered.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first I thought this was about wearing a fly plaid to a military tattoo and I couldn’t figure out what Jock had against military parades!

A suggestion I’ve heard for ink tattoos is think about it for a year and if you still like it after that, go for it.

As for offending anyone, there’s a fella on the big clan Donald Facebook group who got a big clan crest inked on his arm. No one complained about it, including the many Scots in the group (including the admin).

Now some may have disliked it and kept it to themselves but that makes me think you’d be fine taking it to a pub.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tattoos of a chiefs “coat of arms” would be one example bad taste, were you not the chief or a close family member. I’ve seen some in the internet, and I highly doubt they are all Chiefs. Crests are another story.
    Last edited by Me cousin Jack; 12th March 19 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Crests

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Me cousin Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the general idea but I think it’s a bit large going over the shoulder as it might make it difficult for further artwork to be added in the future and blend in well.
    A couple of us actually planned out a small tattoo at last year’s Kilt Kamp, we were going to have the Xmarks tartan in a tape measure (because Barb is all about the tape measure)
    Unfortunately the tattoo shop across the road was unavailable... still on my wish list after the white lace design on my shoulder.

A cautionary note - from the image searches we did it seems ‘tartan’ is one of those designs that are really hard to do well. So choose your artist wisely. Like watercolour tattoos there are some good ones and really bad ones.

Can’t wait to see the pictures!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast