X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Angus County

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angus County

I've been researching my family's roots in Scotland, and wow do I have questions. I've been able to trace the Orems to Monikie in present-day Angus County. Although I've studied the maps and visited a ton of websites, I have come to the conclusion that I must be daft. What region is Angus County? Just when I think I've narrowed it to the Central Lowlands, I find sites that say parts of Angus County are considered Highlands. I'm interested in understanding the cultural traditions where my family lived.

Apparently the Orems had no family tartan, but I can't find an explanation of why some families had them and others didn't. I suppose we might wear the Aberdeen tartan. Would appreciate your input on this.

Thank you for a wonderful site!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll confuse you even more. In 1880 there was no county of Angus - it was called Forfarshire until 1928
    Insperata Floruit! - Flourished Unexpectedly!

KABOOM; Kilted Christians; Kilted In Carolina; Matt Newsome Kilt Owners Group; R Kilts are Awesome; SEKS - The Great Southeastern Kilt Society; The Order of the Dandelion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why wear Aberdeen? Why not the Angus district tartan?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A3984CDD-A355-476F-9943-7BCA3426CDCC.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	381.2 KB 
ID:	36541
    Last edited by Guthrumironhead; 15th March 19 at 04:18 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Guthrumironhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Balaamsass51 View Post
    I'll confuse you even more. In 1880 there was no county of Angus - it was called Forfarshire until 1928
    While that is technically factual, it's always been Angus. Ask the cows. Or the Ogilvies. Well, maybe not always.
    But for a thousand years or so, Angus. Maybe the government beginning to call it Forfarshire was a factor in my
    Hughes line leaving Kingoldrum and coming to the colonies before the Revolution. In 1928 the government saw
    the light of day and went back to it's traditional identity. Forfar, a royal burgh in Angus, was the county town and in the
    18th century many government folk found it logical to identify the shire by the largest town. Later wisdom prevailed,
    and I'm sure the Ogilvies sleep better.

And yes, Angus tartan is a lovely one.
    Last edited by tripleblessed; 15th March 19 at 06:00 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byrdfeeder View Post
    Although I've studied the maps and visited a ton of websites, I have come to the conclusion that I must be daft. What region is Angus County? Just when I think I've narrowed it to the Central Lowlands, I find sites that say parts of Angus County are considered Highlands.
    I went to Google Maps and entered "Angus District UK" which gave me this:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/An...8!4d-2.9124057

As you can see, Monikie is located in the Angus District.

If you switch from map view to satellite view, it should be fairly obvious where the boundary between the highlands and lowlands is. Monikie would be in the lowlands.

Apparently the Orems had no family tartan, but I can't find an explanation of why some families had them and others didn't.
    It was a wealth and power thing. Scottish lords would order clothing in a tartan for themselves, their family members, and all their servants. That tartan (or those tartans) would get labeled with their name. The companies that made that tartan for the Scottish lords would advertise it under that name in an attempt to sell it to others.

Small families with little money weren't going to have that kind of economic clout. A few have a family tartan anyway, but they seem to be the exception instead of the rule.

I suppose we might wear the Aberdeen tartan. Would appreciate your input on this.
    I'm guessing that's the area where most people with the Orem surname are found currently. It would be a valid choice, as would the Angus District tartan.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am originally from Carnoustie and still love Angus. It is a great place to grow up and a great place to come back to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angus County

Thank you for your input about a tartan for the Orems. When I searched commercial sites for a tartan, they suggested (as Karl said) Aberdeen because of the number of Orems there. Frankly, I didn't know there was an Angus tartan. I viewed it, and yes, it is a lovely one. Given that my Orems were from Angus, I agree it is a good choice.

I was aware that Angus had also been referred to as Forfarshire, but since my Orems left Scotland sometime in the 1600s, I presume the county would have been Angus at that time, no?

I just read a selection about the origin of kilts: "The Invention of Tradition" by Hugh Trevor-Roper (Columbia University). Wondering if anyone else has seen this and what your thoughts are about it. Are these fightin' words?

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/journali...0Tradition.pdf

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read a selection about the origin of kilts: "The Invention of Tradition" by Hugh Trevor-Roper (Columbia University). Wondering if anyone else has seen this and what your thoughts are about it. Are these fightin' words?
    I just scanned the text in the link you posted. I can't say those are "fightin' words", but they could start a debate among those with more historical knowledge on the subject than I have. I prefer to let that sleeping giant rest in peace.

PS. I do appreciate information from any source so that I may develop a conclusion closer to the truth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I prefer to let that sleeping giant rest in peace.

PS. I do appreciate information from any source so that I may develop a conclusion closer to the truth.
    I hope that through my ignorance I didn't put my foot in it. I did not mean to offend.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parts of Angus, such as Forfar and Monikie, might well be considered as being in the Lowlands, but I've always thought of the Angus Glens, Glen Clova, Glen Isla, Glen Prosen etc as within the Highlands, indeed Glen Doll is within the Cairngorms National Park.
    Regional Director for Scotland for Clan Cunningham International, and a Scottish Armiger.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast