X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Angus County

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byrdfeeder View Post
    The photo upload worked just fine! I thank you so much for sharing those pics. Monikie looks even more lovely than I had imagined. On the Monikie.org.scot website is a description written in the 1950s of the Panmure estate that includes flocks of wild swans taking flight. What a sight that must have been! I'm surprised to hear that the cross is off the beaten path, given that it receives so much attention in readings about Monikie. Could you make sense any of the engravings?

My genealogical research continues, and I'm learning some fascinating things. It seems that my family is part of the "Little Scottish Cluster." The men in this group share a genetic relationship, with the most recent common ancestor having lived in Scotland about 1200 years ago. Apparently, that kind of relationship is rare. I'm still learning, and heaven knows there's so much to uncover. But it's a rewarding endeavor.

Thank you so much for taking time to post these pics for me. It means so much to see the land my ancestors walked. Yours is a true act of kindness.
    You're very welcome - I hope to go back to the cross again very soon - it's a really peaceful place. Nothing to let anyone know it's there and I expect the majority of locals don't know it's there - I like it that way The cross is very weathered on it's west facing side - you can make out some detail on the east face - according to wikipedia these are early christian markings: "The eastern face is usually interpreted as a depiction of Christ flanked by angels above the four evangelists,[6] although Robert Maule, in the earliest description of the stone, described the scene as Moses giving out the Law"

Cheers
    To the King over the water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame you seem to have missed the Pictish crosses when you were in the area, Aberlemno had some amazing stones.

Whilst I understand your enthusiasm for Highland cultute, try not to let your enthusiasm distort the fact that Angus is very much the remains of the Pictish heartland & therefore it has the renements of far older cultures predating those Western invaders...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post
    Shame you seem to have missed the Pictish crosses when you were in the area, Aberlemno had some amazing stones.

Whilst I understand your enthusiasm for Highland cultute, try not to let your enthusiasm distort the fact that Angus is very much the remains of the Pictish heartland & therefore it has the renements of far older cultures predating those Western invaders...

Not sure if this was referring to myself or the OP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, our Pictish ancestors were OG's to the Johnny come lately groups.
    Last edited by Mike S; 3rd August 19 at 01:42 PM.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Thomson View Post

I merely posted some photos of the Camus Cross as it's in the area the original poster is interested in. I live in Angus (about 12 miles or so from Aberlemno) so haven't missed out on anything. My "enthusiasm" hasn't distorted anything, I'm well aware of who the picts were, thanks both, but you're teaching your granny to suck eggs

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234