X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Angus County

Threaded View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byrdfeeder View Post
    My brother is planning a trip to Royal and Ancient St. Andrews in a few months. One the map, that looks very close to Monikie. Would it be a reasonable day trip? Would you cross the Firth of Tay or go around?
    I'm lucky enough to live in Angus, just a few miles from Monikie (pronounced locally min-eek-y ) and can vouch that it's one of Scotland's nicest areas, with the mountains only about 40 minutes away from the coast, and beautiful country - definitely both Highlands and Lowlands.

To get to Monikie from St Andrews, you have to drive via Dundee - yes you do cross the Tay but by driving over the Tay Road Bridge. The alternative would be a train from Leuchars to Dundee, but a taxi out to Monikie I expect would cost c £20 - £30. It would take around 45 minutes to one hour to drive from St Andrews to Monikie. Monikie itself is a small village but is also the name of a parish - there are a number of small villages in what would have been Monikie Parish. It has a nice country park which is great for walks. Also Carnoustie is just a few miles from Monikie, and for a golfer, is worth a visit.
    Last edited by AbernethyCameron; 20th March 19 at 07:20 AM.
    To the King over the water

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to AbernethyCameron For This Useful Post: