X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Angus County

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byrdfeeder View Post
    I hope that through my ignorance I didn't put my foot in it. I did not mean to offend.
    Fear not my friend. I make many errors and am treated kindly by this group with corrections that help my personal growth. This is why I remain loyal and wiser.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angus Shire

I was aware that Angus had also been referred to as Forfarshire, but since my Orems left Scotland sometime in the 1600s, I presume the county would have been Angus at that time, no?
    It was called Angus Shire before it was called Forfarshire. I found a reference that the area was called Angus Shire in 1773, but I can't tell you what it was called in the 1600s.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Angus was a Mormeardom since at least the 900s BCE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cessna152towser View Post
    Parts of Angus, such as Forfar and Monikie, might well be considered as being in the Lowlands, but I've always thought of the Angus Glens, Glen Clova, Glen Isla, Glen Prosen etc as within the Highlands, indeed Glen Doll is within the Cairngorms National Park.
    Okay, that helps clear that up. Since Monikie was so close to the Highlands, would they have shared similar cultures? For example, I've read that people in the Lowlands were predominantly Presbyterian throughout the 17th and 18th centuries, and would have disagreed rather vehemently with those who supported Prince Charles. Would you agree, or is this off the mark?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsty View Post
    I am originally from Carnoustie and still love Angus. It is a great place to grow up and a great place to come back to.
    Oh, how I envy you! I've only seen pictures, but it looks lovely. Maybe one day....

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to byrdfeeder For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    I went to Google Maps and entered "Angus District UK" which gave me this:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/An...8!4d-2.9124057

As you can see, Monikie is located in the Angus District.

If you switch from map view to satellite view, it should be fairly obvious where the boundary between the highlands and lowlands is. Monikie would be in the lowlands.

It was a wealth and power thing. Scottish lords would order clothing in a tartan for themselves, their family members, and all their servants. That tartan (or those tartans) would get labeled with their name. The companies that made that tartan for the Scottish lords would advertise it under that name in an attempt to sell it to others.

Small families with little money weren't going to have that kind of economic clout. A few have a family tartan anyway, but they seem to be the exception instead of the rule.

I'm guessing that's the area where most people with the Orem surname are found currently. It would be a valid choice, as would the Angus District tartan.
    That's great information! How did women wear the tartan? Would it have been a dress, shawl, scarf, any of the above?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Fear not my friend. I make many errors and am treated kindly by this group with corrections that help my personal growth. This is why I remain loyal and wiser.
    Thank you for your patience. I get a little "over exuberant" in my quest for info sometimes, but I totally agree that any source is worth reading--what matters is understanding the context.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to byrdfeeder For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsty View Post
    I am originally from Carnoustie and still love Angus. It is a great place to grow up and a great place to come back to.
    My brother is planning a trip to Royal and Ancient St. Andrews in a few months. One the map, that looks very close to Monikie. Would it be a reasonable day trip? Would you cross the Firth of Tay or go around?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl R View Post
    It was called Angus Shire before it was called Forfarshire. I found a reference that the area was called Angus Shire in 1773, but I can't tell you what it was called in the 1600s.
    This information sent me down several new paths in my research. Amazing what you find when you change the search string from "Angus County" to "Angus Shire!" Thank you so much!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did women wear the tartan? Would it have been a dress, shawl, scarf, any of the above?
    I'm sure that's going to depend on the time frame. However, I did a google search and found portraits, illustrations and photos from the 1800s with tartan dresses, jackets, dress & jacket, shawls, long skirts, skirt & sash, coats, and hats.

My brother is planning a trip to Royal and Ancient St. Andrews in a few months. One the map, that looks very close to Monikie. Would it be a reasonable day trip? Would you cross the Firth of Tay or go around?
    Google maps is showing that it's about a 40 minute drive each way. Closer to an hour and a half each way if he relies on public transportation. All of the suggested routes cross the Firth of Tay.
    Trying to look good on a budget.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast