X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Second Kilt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second Kilt

I made one blue denim X-Kilt and I wore it almost everyday since. I went only 3 days to work wearing pants in the last 45 days.

I needed another one. Like the rev-k model more than the X-kilt and I was afraid my sewing machine couldn`t handle that many layers in the pleats. So I went for a thin black gabardine.

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-19 at 13.27.55.jpg

The only difference with the tutorial is that I A-shaped one side of the under apron giving some symetry to the center deep pleats.

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-19 at 13.27.56.jpgWhatsApp Image 2019-03-19 at 13.27.55 (1).jpg

Still learning how to sit down gracefully, but wearing a kilt is a one way trip.

Now waiting for the tartan to arrive for the 3rd one.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to alfrenovsky For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job on the kilt construction. I have found that sitting will become a fluid motion usually with a sweep of one hand (with a knife pleated kilt) and leaning forward and dropping back into a chair for a box pleated kilt. I hope the next kilt will be as easy as the first two and the tartan will not present too many difficulties in construction.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work my friend!
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I am being a bit picky here, about a perfectly good kilt too - but I think it would look so much smarter worn a little higher up, more at the natural waist level.
    It would hold the shirt more neatly and be more flattering due to there being less length of shirt - its the proportions niggling me there, and also that the front dips.
    Maybe something to think about for the third one?

I do make my own kilts, and having needed to remake all I own over the last year, I know that I spend far too long getting them right - I could never afford myself if I needed to pay, but find yourself a mirror, hoist and tuck and see what you think...

Anne the Pleater
    I presume to dictate to no man what he shall eat or drink or wherewithal he shall be clothed."
    -- The Hon. Stuart Ruaidri Erskine, The Kilt & How to Wear It, 1901.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Pleater For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    I know I am being a bit picky here
    That's what made your answer valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleater View Post
    but I think it would look so much smarter worn a little higher up, more at the natural waist level.
    I used to wear my first kilt there, but I have some belly over the waist and the kilt keeps dropping to the waist, being to low at the knees.
    That's why I made the second 1" shorter.

I agree with you, the kilt looks better weared at the belly button height but feels better where my diameter is the smallest.

I really like it more a little up but if I walk, run or climb some stairs it ends where it is in this photo.

The optimal will be a kilt 1" longer (Like my first one), with 1" or 2" more from waist line to rump line (where the pleats are static) to wear it 1" or 2" higher and 20 pounds less.

What do you think about the front apron size? (Currently is 1/4 my rump diameter at the top with 30% more an the bottom for A-Shaping it)

What is the maximun length where you'll stop calling it a kilt? (If it looks nice and is comfortable I really don't care calling it whatever)
    Last edited by alfrenovsky; 27th March 19 at 04:07 PM.