X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello and good morning from South Davis County Utah

Well I've done it. I joined a group that dose not want me to talk Guns, Politics, and or Religion. I am left with few options, heritage and family come to mind. I have a mixed family background. We were not Highlanders, but family roots are from Scotland during some of the wars and uprisings the Moyes family aligned with or fell under the protection of the Angus clan. this would be my fathers Mothers people. The other half of his folk are English and Welsh. My mothers people are Gough from England. I Have Quigley Irish Blood also coursing through my veins from her fathers side. I don't think I ever saw any pitchers of any Kilts on any of them. There were a few coats of arms and swatches of tartan around when I was little, and young. I've not yet purchased a kilt though I am crowding a date for a custom modern one from a local maker of same. I figure it is time. At 66 years of age I better get with it If I am going to influence My 3 sons and 4 grandson to get and wear their own kilts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the "Great Rabble"!

You say you don't have Highland roots, but you know, as my geneticist friend said, if you think that nobody among all your ancestors ever married across the local lines, you're living in la-la land. Most of us have roots in a lot of places we never dreamed of.

Now, that doesn't mean that you're a Highlander per se. In fact you're probably a lot closer to the facts of the matter than otherwise, but to say that you have no Highland roots is probably an overstatement.

Glad you've joined us in the "Great Rabble"!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome from Southern California.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!

Impressed with your desire to see your sons and grandsons in kilts.

I was the first of my brothers to get a kilt. Initially my father would pull my leg about it. Before he passed away he got to see all of my four brothers in kilts as well. Assisted I think by my dad being willing to pay for them.

Whether I see my own two sons, or grandson in a kilt, is a wait and see option. I am certainly doing my bit by wearing mine as much as possible to encourage them.

Good luck - I am sure you will enjoy getting kilted.
    He aha te mea nui o te ao?
    What is the most important thing in the world?
    He tangata, he tangata, he tangata
    It is the people, it is the people, it is the people

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well met and welcome new friend. My son (thirty nine years old this year) wore his first kilt 6 years before I got mine. His son (15 years old this year) is not being pushed to get a kilt but I expect will get the itch to own a garment worn by his recent and distant ancestors. Kids will be kids and as they grow older make better choices, or so I've been told yet my actions are often questioned by my dad.

Glad to have you with us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from North Texas.
    KD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from a Scotsman living in middle England. Glad you're passing on the tradition to the next generations!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome from Western Canada 🇨🇦!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome from Sandy!

There's quite a strong Utah presence here it seems, probably because of the cultural fascination with ancestry. My mother is a Scott and two generations removed from Hawick in the borderlands, so my family has always been intrigued by our Scottish heritage, even if we couldn't find any concrete highland associations... that was until just yesterday when we learned through Family Search that we were also actually direct (albeit illegitimate) descendants 14 generations removed from King James Stewart IV, on my fathers side! Regardless of the clan or tartan, any kilt you buy is going to become a great heirloom for your grandsons.