X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Strathconas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strathconas

Why an Armour regiment has a volunteer pipe band is a bit of a story, but basically it goes back some soldiers played and Lord Strathcona, the Unit founder, was a Scot.
    From a recent parade commemorating the Great War battle of Moreiul Wood (30 Mar 1918)
    Last edited by Taskr; 25th March 19 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Grammar

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A wee bit of background information about Lord Strathcona, that you may be interested in. Only yesterday I happened to be in Glen Coe and drove past Lord Strathcona's Scottish Country seat, Glen Coe House. It is an imposing building and certainly in keeping with the surrounding scenery, but not one that I would describe as an architectural gem. It is now a hotel and was until recently a hospital before that, I understand that the building was given to the people of Glen Coe upon his death in 1914.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I very much like the pipe band's kit.

Looks like the Patrol Dress tunics, which are much more popular in Canada than back in Scotland.

I wonder what tartan that is.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Richard; It is patrol tunics modified and retaining, as you can see in the photo, the Armour chain mail epaulette.
    The tartan is MacKenzie; a fact of economy when raising the band. The drummers wear the cavalry overall.
    A little bit of history here https://www.strathconas.ca/pipes-and-drums. I was on the California trip, filling in for the bass who had taken ill. We were asked by the 15Fd Regt Band to join them for two US service Change of Command ceremonies. Wonderful experience - especially the Seabee Mess.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    Why an Armour regiment has a volunteer pipe band is a bit of a story, but basically it goes back some soldiers played and Lord Strathcona, the Unit founder, was a Scot.
    From a recent parade commemorating the Great War battle of Moreiul Wood (30 Mar 1918)
    If my rather fickle memory serves me correctly, I think one of the Strathconas won a VC in that battle?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct, posthumously to Lt Gordon Muriel Flowerdew who led the mounted charge against machine guns and turned the enemy from the position.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donald Smith was born in Forres, Scotland in 1820. He grew up hearing stories about his maternal uncle who was a trader with first the Northwest Co. and later after the merged the Hudson’s Bay Company. When he was 18 or so he headed to Montreal and joined the HBC. He would be an employee for 75 years starting as a clerk and rising to be governor, chairman and major shareholder. He and his cousin George Stephan were the driving force behind the the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railroad, and He was given the honour of driving the last spike. He negotiated peace with Louis Riel during the Red River Uprising. He served 3 terms as a Member of Parliament. He spent his last 17-18 years of his life as Canada’s High Commissioner to Great Britain. He was also a great Philanthropist giving away much of the fortune he made.
    He also raised a regiment formed from ex NWMP and cowboys and their horses from Southern Alberta territory to fight in the Boer War. The current Strathcona Horse honours this early regiment.
    I became familiar with this amazing man through my volunteer involvement with both Heritage Park and Lougheed in Calgary.
    Very few Canadians recognize the name Donald Smith, although places like Fort Smith are named after him, but the name Strathcona is well known across the country.
    Last edited by Liam; 26th March 19 at 02:43 PM.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

10. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post: